is a pair of LS enough?

Arash

Alot of this PWK BS Button about the "SLOWER" larger drivers comes from the sloppy sound of cheaper budget subs without enough electric motor for the displacement, and poor design.

It only makes sense that to move a very large driver as quickly as a smaller one would take lots of power, more than is found with most subs. There are likely some subs with big drivers that can reproduce music accurately and realistically, but they're probably very expensive. I'm speaking in general terms because I've never seen or heard an 18" sub.

Alot of this PWK BS Button about the "SLOWER" larger drivers comes from the sloppy sound of cheaper budget subs without enough electric motor for the displacement, and poor design.

It only makes sense that to move a very large driver as quickly as a smaller one would take lots of power, more than is found with most subs. There are likely some subs with big drivers that can reproduce music accurately and realistically, but they're probably very expensive. I'm speaking in general terms because I've never seen or heard an 18" sub.

Islander,

"Well come on down", bring a bandaid too, and we'll POP that cherry! [;)]

Roger

I can comment about the Tuba HT with the LaScala's.

Using a horn loaded sub is the only way to run in my opinion.

I guess the easiest way to explain it is comparing any other well built horn loaded woofer, it sounds different, tight & snappy with lots of force unlike direct radiator models where coloration and distortion can be interpreted as bass.

For instance, the Chorus II's produce hefty amounts of bass, nice tight drum kicks and bass notes that rock but hearing the same music through good horn loaded models sounds different, same with the Tuba HT it matches better because its a horn, having enough power is nothing i worry about anymore, the 24" version will pump out 120+ dB, more than enough to compliment or overpower most rooms.

The biggest difference I can describe about horn loaded bass vs direct cone is the attack and definition. There is a certain air-moving force and realism that horn loading has that is lost when just radiated into space conventionally. It's like all of the energy from the cone (which doesn't need to move far...just a few mm and that reduces distortion) is directed like an air-horn concentrates air. Instead of dissipating, the wavefront hits you directly. Tympani, for example sound more realistic to me on a klipschorn than pretty much any other speaker. No small part of this is the waveguide effect of the bass bin.

I'd like to build some 24's myself.