Academy and Forte with Marantz

a friend is willing to sell me his Klipsch academy center chanel for about $200. I have heard a lot about how exceptional that speaker is so i intend to pick it up. I currently have infinity kappa 5.1 series front speakers which probably are not the best match so I was intending to buy a couple of Forte II fronts to complement the academy. I however read in some forums that klipsch speakers can be harsh and be tiring to the ears if you listen to music for a long time (which i do) unless used with tube amps. I have a marantz 7002 which is considered to be a relatively 'warm' amp. I was wondering if that matches well with the forte and if i'm doing the right thing by going with this setup.

Appreciate your inputs, thanks.

Welcome. I'm also using my Marantz SR7001 in my setup with La Scalas. Although I've never heard Fortes, I can safely say you are going to love what you hear. A good dedicated amp (tube or SS) will be better but there is no need to hurry. Enjoy your new setup for awhile. I've had my setup for about six months now and I just picked up a H/K 430. I'm still an infant in my audio progression relative to some members on here.

• Like 1

I am willing to bet you could not believe the sound of that little H/K 430. I have one on my Chorus IIs and love it but keep in mind that its not just the 430 making Klipsch sound good its the Klipsch making the 430 sound good because they are so efficent.

I am willing to bet you could not believe the sound of that little H/K 430. I have one on my Chorus IIs and love it but keep in mind that its not just the 430 making Klipsch sound good its the Klipsch making the 430 sound good because they are so efficent.

Yes, I'm blown away by how good the H/K 430 sounds with La Scalas. I've been using my Marantz SR7001 with a small 8" sub crossover at 60hz, which sounded really nice but I feel that setup never really took advantage of the punchy bass La Scala is capable of. When listened to the H/K 430, no sub, I then realized what I was missing. My friend who I got the H/K 430 from loaned me his ADC turntable so now I'm listening to vinyls with H/K 430 and La Scala, unbelievable.

I've been pretty much listening to all digital music up until I picked up a pair of La Scala, now I find myself looking at vintage receivers and playing records again. Funny how that works.

• Like 1