Sony RPJ SXRD Wega "yellow stain" problem on the screen

Coytee

Just tonight, I'm finally getting my head wrapped around this.

I have a 50" Sony KDS R50XBR1 rear projection TV. The screen has a yellow tinge to it.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/5135

To cut to the chase, I called Sony customer help and he finally concluded it was indeed the "Optical Block" that was an issue. I was focused on how do I fix it, how much to fix it...CAN it be fixed... (can be fixed but no guarantee the problem won't return)

Here is what he wanted to do. He said if I sent them back the serial tag (which voids any future warranty work on the unit) that I could then KEEP the TV and they would sell me one of the following:

KDL 46NX700 for $160 (46" LCD)

KDL 55EX500 for $225 (55" LCD) or

KDL 52EX700 for $325 (52" LCD)

He said the 52 inch was a 1080P and was probably the best of the bunch. All are this years model and here's the kicker..... these prices included shipping TO MY DOOR.

I'm still a little perplexed as to what is going on.

Still....he said they'd do that which would ultimately absolve them of any responsiblity to lawsuits and I could keep the current TV, opting to fix it or not at my discretion.

Anyone know anything about these other tv sets and if this is as interesting of a deal as it seems??

Unfortunately, this isn't a "magnet too close to the tv" situation. It's evidently a design flaw or faulty part or something like that with this line of tv's where they are going through this color shift problem.

The fix is to replace the Optical Block, whatever that is. Even when replacing this item, it seems you are still at risk of the same thing happening to you down the road after you get some hours on the tv.

I've seen pictures of how to replace the optical block and you are basically gutting the rear of the tv to get access to the part. I'm coming to the understanding that there are 3 of these (RGB?) and one of them is delaminating (my word) or getting bubbles inside or something. Once this starts to deteriorate, you get these color problems.

My thinking is ............52" 1080p TV for 325 ! (normally 1,825.00). [Y]

Junk you present unit and go with that model............

Trying to repair the present one, seems to me, like more hassle then it is worth...........

JMHO !

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?p1=%5bCommerceService+scenario%3d%22o%22+docid%3d%22DDEA14D6BBA772840001%22%5d&q=Sony+52EX700&qpvt=Sony+52EX700&wf=Commerce&oma=toggle_off

I was kind of leaning on the 52". Told the wife last night what was going on. She agreed.

This also has me wondering a bit.... are they eating some cost here or is this the wholesale price and now we have an idea of how much markup there is in these things?

Put differently, there is such a disparity in price, I had to ask him if these were refurbed units he was trying to sell me. He insisted they were factory new.

They probably are New, just older model technology wise . The model also may not be selling well either.

The mark up on Furniture and most Big Ticket items is about 200 %..................is what I have been told.........

Sounds like the Wife is on Board with this........Go for it !

I would go with the new one also.

I think Sony is STILL selling the PS3 for LESS than it costs to make, so they are not new in the sell it for a low price market, esp if it gets them out of warranty issues that will likely cost more to fix than the TVs are worth.

That said, check out what factory repair costs, it is enough to make you look elseware for repair. For the three things I looked at repair costs (PS3, PSP and my camera Alpha 700) the blanket cost of repair was about half new retail price, regardless of the issues you were having. Basically, they would go through the item 100% even for small things. I bent some pins in the CF memory connector in my camera and the "repair cost" was about $600 if I remember right[:|], the repair is getting done at a local camera repair shop for $145.

I have a 32" 1080i or p LCD and I like the clarity and that it's trouble-tree. I'm not a big fan of Sony's LCD color and pic adjustments, but I doubt you can do as well let alone better at the exchange price. I don't think I'd want to risk a re-run of having to have a complicated rear-projection repair.

Unfortunately, this isn't a "magnet too close to the tv" situation. It's evidently a design flaw or faulty part or something like that with this line of tv's where they are going through this color shift problem.

The fix is to replace the Optical Block, whatever that is. Even when replacing this item, it seems you are still at risk of the same thing happening to you down the road after you get some hours on the tv.

I've seen pictures of how to replace the optical block and you are basically gutting the rear of the tv to get access to the part. I'm coming to the understanding that there are 3 of these (RGB?) and one of them is delaminating (my word) or getting bubbles inside or something. Once this starts to deteriorate, you get these color problems.

you are correct. it is a design flaw in the optical block (it is heat related). if you replace it the new optical block will do the same thing eventually.

there is a class action suit in which sony has been made to extend the warranty period on certain models. this they have done at least twice.

if your model is part of the lawsuit (lots of links on web) and you are under the original or extended warranty periods, all sony can (will?) do is replace the optical block.

i have a sony kds60a2000 and am on my third optical block and the warranty extension period on this tv runs out at the end of this month, tv is 3 1/2 years old.

after the extended warranty periods however, sony customer service is not bound by the lawsuit and has more flexibility.

i don't know if your model is specifically included in the suit, but this appears to be what is occurring.

sounds like a very reasonable deal to me.