Shipping speakers?

juniper8

What speakers are you shipping?

When I shipped my Quartets I did the following:

I went to Home Depot and bought sheets of styrofoam board that were 1" thick. I double layered them and cut them to fit all around the speakers. Taped everything up so the boards wouldn't shift around in transit. I bought cardboard boxes from Wal-Mart that gave a snug fit over the speakers. There wasn't a box tall enough so I bought two boxes and put one on bottom of the box and flipped one upside down and put it on the top of the speaker. Taped all around where the boxes came together.

One speaker shipped to South Dakota (very close) and the other shipped to California and both arrived without any shipping damage.

1. beg, borrow, or steal a van or big SUV

2. drive to pick up spot, check out (take stuff for this ), purchase, wrap in blankies (you did remember blankies didn't you?)

3. drive home, picking up a Diet Rock Star on the way if the total drive time each way exceeds 4 hours.

4. get home, unpack, hook up, enjoy.

5. post on the Klipsch Forum all the incidents of the journey.

Shipping is always dicey. Some make it just fine, some do not.

Yep , some do .Posted ImageThis is one of my first Belles that went coast to coast . Freighting company used was Roadway . Cost was just under $500. and the pair made it in 5 days . Not a scratch .

Nope , I purchased them off of ebay . The guy advertised local pick up only , well that wasn't going to happen . He was cool and charged me $50. for packing materials . Mine were wrapped in plastic then surrounded by closed cell foam . Only like a quarter inch foam as I recall . Then double boxed . The key to success was that I was a real PITA with the shipping company . Told them exactly what they were and insisted they be treated like fine furniture . I could have done the freighting a little cheaper but I paid an extra $90. to have them picked up with a lift gate truck . I figured it would make it easier on the seller . The guy said he actually had fun packing them kinda like creating a monster . He found some appliance boxes then cut them down and made boxes for the Belles . Soo , the girls went from Tacoma WA to Charleston SC in 5 days , around 2,800 miles . Not a scratch on the boxes when I picked them up from the shipping terminal . Heck , it was my 40th birthday that day too , BONUS !!!

Word to the wise , contact allot of freighting companies as I was quoted as high as $1,500. to have them shipped . Roadway was the second cheapest quote and had good reviews .

I have close to 5k miles invested in picking up stuff. Part of the klipsch expierence(heritage especially) meeting people ect.

shipping?????? long story short... dont do it with any big speakers. Been there done that- disaster. I deal with shipping issues at work daily. Motor freight carriers suck. You have a problem- You are screwed big time. Dont expect them to make it right.