RF-62 OR RF-82 HOME THEATER SYSTEM

ravinathan

Trying to decide on either;

1. RF-62 Home Theater System (standard config: RF-62, RC-62, RS-52, RW-12d)

2. RF-82 Home Theater System (standard config: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RSW-10d)

3. RF-82 Home Theater System (RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RW-12d) with bigger woofer.

My AV room size is abour 24' x 14'. Using the Yamaha RX-V3900 Receiver.

Can someone advise?

Ravinathan,

Welcome to the forum.

First is either one of the setups in your $$$ budget? If $$$ is not an issue, I think the choice #2 is your best bet. Your room is pretty large and the RF-62 system will not fill the room the way #2 and #3 will. The RSW-10d is a great sounding more compact sub that is very musical and does well for HT. I have the RSW-10d in a 16' x 32' room(kitchen/FR) and it does not struggle to keep up. One day I might add another sub just for more impact.

Again if $$$ is not a problem, consider getting the RC-64 center channel instead of the RC-62. With such a large room you don't want your guests saying "What did they say?" "Back up I did not hear that."

Good luck,

Bill

What Bill said.

I have the RF-82/RC-64 combo and absolutely love it. Eventually I will upgrade to either the RF-63's or 83's, but it's nice to know my center isn't going anywhere. And, since the center is the focal point to any HT set-up, that's where you should spend your $$$.

From what I've read the RSW-10d would be superior to the RW-12d. I have the RT-10d and it shakes my house.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with!

Jrod

Bill, Jrod,

Thanks! So the 'perfect' system for that price range and room size would be;

1. RF-82

2. RC-64 (need to check out the price difference)

3. RS-52

4. RSW-10d (thought with the 12" cone and wider bandwidth the RW-12d would be a better woofer just from specs alone)

Will be using the system for both music and movies. Did not see any comments on the Yamaha RX-V3900 so assume that should be a pretty good match for the speakers.

I have read that the speakers can be a bit bright though.

RAVI

Ravi,

Your Yamaha RX-V3900 will work just fine. I don't think the Reference IV speakers are bright at all. Not what would be considered warm but more neutral with lots of detail for two way speakers. Forum member Youthman has the RX-V1800 and is very pleased with it matched up to his RF-83 system.

Bill

• Moderators

I don't think the Reference IV speakers are bright at all.

Agreed

Not what would be considered warm but more neutral with lots of detail for two way speakers.

True

Forum member Youthman has the RX-V1800 and is very pleased with it matched up to his RF-83 system.

Most definitely

[:D]

Was reading the wrong specification sheet. The RSW-10d is the better subwoofer than the RW-12d. [:D]

Although the recommended subwoofer for the RF-82 Home Theater System is the RSW-10d, I just realized the dealer is packaging the RW-12d instead (and no wonder the 'good price'). Which would mean I have to outlay more cash for the following upgrade;

1. from RW-12d to RSW-10d

2. from RC-62 to RC-64

Sigh!

If I had to choose one which should I select?

The 64, hands down.

Let me ask you this, are you buying all this new? There is a pretty lively used market for Klipsch gear. That's actually how I got every speaker (and my amp) in my profile. There are deals to be had if you are patient.

Let me ask you this, are you buying all this new? There is a pretty lively used market for Klipsch gear. That's actually how I got every speaker (and my amp) in my profile. There are deals to be had if you are patient.

I second that.... every speaker in my profile and several more pairs (except the Promedia 2.1s) were purchased used for at LEAST half price of new, and in some cases MUCH cheaper.

Good Luck,

• 1 month later...

Folks,

Decided to go with the RF82, RC64, RS52, RSW10d!

Looking at the less than perfect room shape I am proposing the area shaded in pink for the sound stage; 10' x 17' . Comments? Should I change the layout from left to right?

TV will be a 60"/65" with seating distance about 8'/10' away. Comments please?

RAVI

post-44883-13819600970818_thumb.jpg

post-44883-13819619523542_thumb.jpg

Hey, Just curious if you ended up going for the RC-64 and the RF-82s. I'm so close to buying them... Just need to hear someone tell me how awesome they are!Big Smile

Well.... I can confirm that these speakers are indeed awesome; but I do not own them.

I am sure you will be pleased if you decide to get them.

Yes, RF-63 will sound better than RF-82 at anything. I would still love to match RF-63 with RC-64 or RC-62 with RF-82. If I were you, I would go for

Option 1 RF-62, RC-62 and RS-52.

Option 2 RF-63, RC-64 and RS-62

Depending on the budget, you wanna keep the three tweeters in the front to be the same so that they are timber matched. Woofer Size do matter a little but not as much as tweeters.1.25" Tweeter is better for the midrange.

For the subwoofer, Vanns has XW-500d for $500 on sale which should be better than RSW-10d because XW-500d is sealed and go down to 18Hz or lower. Yes it will be 3db less output (half the volume at the same power) but then you can buy two for less than the price of one RSW-10d. Since Xw-500d is sealed it goes deeper(the roll off below 21Hz is much flatter than you can imagine) and should sound tighter because there is no port or passive radiator.