Putting together new HT set up

inder19

Hi, I am new to the forums and have been looking to set up a Klipsch RF-83 7.2 for a while now.

The set up I was going for is

Front: RF83
Centre: RC64
Surround: RS62
Sub: RT-12D
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR3007

My first issue is that I can't seem to find the RT-12D anywhere, everywhere I have checked has said its been discontinued. If that is the case is there a new line coming out soon and should I wait for it?
I have found other subs that are as good or better but I was just set on that package.

Other wise is there anywhere else I would be able to get that sub new in box at the moment?

The second question is if anyone has experience with that receiver and how do you think it would match up with that setup.

I am looking to have it set up soon as I should have my projector in the next 3 weeks or so.

I would appreciate any suggestions,

Thanks

**Just to add a note for a the Sub selection my room size is about 4400ft^3 and I have enough room for 2 subs

Inder19,

Welcome to the forum. Nice setup you are trying to piece together. The RT-12d is discontinued from most merchants but I found one used on C-list. Where is your location? If you don't have to have a Klipsch sub, there are many choices out there with the same or better performance for less $$$. HSU, SVS, Velodyne, are a few suggestions that offer good performance/price subs.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1823447009.html

Also, forum member Jtubbs(Jeff) has a nice Paradigm for sale.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/137062.aspx

The second question is if anyone has experience with that receiver and how do you think it would match up with that setup.

Onkyo's higher end receivers are stuffed full of features and bring it pretty good with the amp section also. I think at first you will be fine but to fully realize the potential of those speakers, you may want to ad a multichannel amp in the future and use the receiver as a pre/pro.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I'm thinking about looking into other sub's but then I was thinking since it was a part of the RF-83 package will those be discontued shortly as well? Either way I have to place an order mid next week and am considering just ordering everything but the sub because it's supposed to take about 7-10 days to arrive. I am located in Vancouver, BC. I was planning to stay with a klipsch sub because I can get it at a much better price, dealer price +%.

I have looked around the forums for some other comparable subs to look at so I will go and give those a listen early next week.

I am not too concerned with the a RF-83 being discontinued because I have heard them and considering even the older RF5/7 sound as good (better according to some) I doubt a new line would offer me much more.

The Onkyo was just marked down drastically to $1150CAN.

I was suggested 2 of the RW-12D but I don't know how those compare to the RT-12D

considering even the older RF5/7

Here is a pair of maple RF-7's just a swim across the pond.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-RF-7-Speakers-Maple-/200493497947?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2eae57fe5b

Victoria/Vancouver Island area is the most beautiful place I have ever visited. My wife and I honeymooned on the island back in October 2001.

Bill

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums inder. I just finished watching The Book of Eli with some friends and all I can say is Wow! I can assure you that you cannot go wrong with the system you are looking at. Absolutely amazing. Bill is right, an amp will definitely add additional clarity, headroom and bottom end.

My room is 2470 cubic feet (13' W x 19' L x 10' H).

Just curious, what projector did you order?

I have limited experience with klipsch subs, but what i've heard and read, you may be better off looking in to some other subs for HT usage. I think their subs sound great with music but the extremely low stuff just isn't there.

2 SVS PB 13 ultras would be a sweet sweet low end. I hope to add one more to my system at some point.

Hey Youthman, I have ordered the Panasonic PT-AE4000U. I found it to be the best one at the price I was getting it at.

I will use the set up for music as well and am starting to lean towards two RSW-10d. Just having a really hard time finding the RT-12d

• Moderators

Awesome! I think you will be very pleased with it. You can get the 4000 cheaper than I paid for the 3000. Is this going in a dedicated theater room or at least a room with controlled lighting? The 3000 (as well as most HT Projectors) washes out pretty bad if you have a descent amount of light in the room.

It will be going in a below grade basement dedicated home theatre. The room is dark enough that even in the middle of the day you need all the lights on. There are 2 windows but one of them lets in no light and the other one I am planning to put heavey drapes so the room is completely dark. I dont't think there is much difference between the 3000/4000 I have seen both in 2 different set ups and they both look great.

• 1 month later...

Just placed a preliminary order for RF-7II, RC64II, RS62II, RS42II

Luckily I wasn't able to get a hold of the RF-83's anywhere and now I will be getting these. The only bad part about all this is that I have to wait for the Canadian Distributor of Klipsch to to get the sku/speakers in stock so I can place an order through my dealer. I have been told best case scenario late september but I don't mind waiting. Hopefully there will be a new subwoofer announced by then which I can also order!

If anyone has any suggestions on a Receiver or whether I should go Amp/Receiver. I have done a lot of research but I am not as knowledgeable about amps/receivers. I am looking at the Onkyo TX-NR3007 as I can get one for $1099CAN brand new.

I am also able to get a really good deal on a Monster Clean power Unit the Pro 3500 rack mount. Is it worth having one of those.

I should be getting a really good deal on the speakers so I will have room left in my budget for any other things I would need for my set up. My options are currently, better receiver, more movies, mac mini, going from 7.1 to 9.1, two subwoofers, or anything else anyone can suggest.

Thanks!

If its the package that was mentioned here it was also an open box demo unit. Which i have no problem with but I am getting this package at dealer pricing. Not including subwoofer for a 7.1 its about the MSRP of the RF-7II. I would consider myself lucky getting a new package which will be current for 5 years.

Again not saying thats not an amazing deal but the only ones I saw close to that price point was about $1000 for a pair of the RF-83 demos but they have a few nicks and honestly I have no idea how much or how hard they have been played.

The place where I used to work some of the speakers got abused. and again for another few hundred I can get a new set and have all the speakers matching as close as possible rather than piecing together a system.

I was looking for a good deal on the TX-NR3007 and after bargaining to 849.00 for the demo unit over the phone I went in and was told that the demo unit had already been sold! because it was over an hour drive the manager ordered me one in from another location. The other location is sending a new one but now I am paying $899.

With the RF-7 II speakers having 10" drivers should I be going with at least a 12" sub or would two RSW-10D subs work just as well?