Troubleshooting suggestions needed.

Mallette

Well, my Pinnacle sub just quit. I say "quit," it's still showing power and I can hear a very faint "thump" on power up, but all I am getting is some very faint noise. If it's the amp, I am assuming I can size it and replace it with a Dayton from Parts Express reasonably. However, if it's in the logic then I'd consider it toast.

Hardly a top of the line unit, but I never needed to shake the house and it's served my HT needs nicely and I miss it for that.

Dave

• Moderators

Thats what my last sub sounded like when the driver died, I kept them amp and built another better sub. What I did was take out the driver and when pressing the cone in and out it was making a dragging sound and felt the same as the sound, really rough.

What about a tapped horn sub, they can be cheap but require a little room ? It's like a folded horn sound, not the direct radiator sub kind of sound, it goes well with folded horn speakers.

What about something big but only 11" thick 11" X 48" X 45", big but flat. And could easily keep up with any speaker you have and go down to 17 HZ. The two drivers are $70 each and you need 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, even Oak is $100 for 2 sheets. $250 plus a few screws and wood glue.

Just a thought. [6]

I've tapped on the woofer, dtel, and it seems to remain well suspended with no sign of suspension issues. When I am talking about noise, I mean really, really quite and audible only from directly in front at a few inches. The "on" thump is also much quieter.

What about something big but only 11" thick 11" X 48" X 45", big but flat. And could easily keep up with any speaker you have and go down to 17 HZ. The two drivers are $70 each and you need 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, even Oak is $100 for 2 sheets. $250 plus a few screws and wood glue.

Hmmm... Sounds interesting and not beyond my limited woodworking experience. Got any drawings? If it is 11" square it would go nicely behind my sofa with one end in a corner.

Dave

Well, seems to me I've got a good sub case, and either a good/bad woofer or a good/bad amp. I will determine which this weekend by the simple expedient of plugging my sub out into a good amp and testing the speaker. In either case, seems a replacement will be in order cost efficiency and expediency wise. If it's the amp, I lean towards the BASH. Seems demand is outpacing supply at the moment and the users think very highly of it, and the price is right. If it's the woof, I may be open to suggestions. I am sure a Pinnacle branded replacement will be more than an OEM, but I can't see (correct me if I am wrong) any particular reason to care as long as it's a great woof, fits, and the price is right.

I must say the thought of building a simple (I am not an experienced woodworker, but I have a table and compound mitre saw and can follow instructions) sub appeals to me and I'd be interested in any plans for same you guys might direct me to. No reason not to have another sub around to annoy the neighbors from another angle...[6]

Dave

You can also check the driver by disconecting it and putting an Ohm meter across it. If it's open it's bad. In addition, if you press lightly down on it and feel any scratchiness or roughness, the voice coil is burnt and the driver is bad.

If you go with a replacement (non OEM) driver be sure to compare the T/S parameters with what you have. Some drivers are designed for sealed applications, some work better ported, some are made for IB, etc.

Carl.

It appears you've let out the magic smoke.

Yezzir, my highly trained and professional nose detected the residue of an evil spell intended to eliminate all organ pipes 16' and larger. However, I happen to know the incantation to reverse.

Also, one of these days in the NTD future I am gonna build an HT Tuba. Seems to be a natural for Klipsch in spirit and even though I am often challenged assembling Ikea butcher blocks, I think I can do this...

Dave

Did a bit of a Spud search, and it looks harder to me. Also, the only "plans" I saw were a plan view hardly adequate for a novice to attempt to duplicated. It also appears the plans are "leaks" of copyrighted plans. The Danley site didn't mention a DIY option.

Dave

• Moderators

It was not hard to build at all, plans.....I made the plans easier to read with a photo program that was on the computer.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/134369-dual-8-tapped-horn-th-spud-3.html?postid=1698483#post1698483

I did not use any stuffing and I did change the access door to make it easier to build and easier to access the drivers.

post-11804-1381960028792_thumb.jpg

post-11804-1381961874978_thumb.jpg