Question about PS 3

dtel

• Moderators

I checked down in the gaming section and it a little slow down there so I thought I would ask here.

We want to get a PS 3 for my grandson for his birthday and after looking we are a little confused, we know nothing about this stuff.

When looking there is a 120 gb model and a 250 gb model, besides 130 gb is there any differences worth making one better than the other, it's not a problem to get the 250 if it's worth it, he did save games and sometimes ran out of memory with the PS 2. He had a X box 360 and it died, he still has a Wll and a PS 2 that works and he says he does not care if the games do not work on the PS 3, he is tired of them, and said he will sell the PS 2 or trade it in toward new games. He wants it but does not know he getting it, it was just talked about a while back when asking what he wanted for his birthday, I know, he is ruined/spoiled but he's a good kid ! [:P]

I see there are different packages from just the console to one with games with controllers and other things, we have no clue which way to go.[:S]

Any ideas

Hey dtel, I cant really help you as I am not really a gamer.. but I am unsure if you can play ps2 games on ps3 console, hopefully someone else can confirm either way, as for the memory capacity, if you require more memory you can connect external hard drive via usb, and as for the differences in models and what they offer, if you connect ps3 via internet you can do a system update to update to current version. Many of us here on the forums have ps3 and hopefully they would be more of a help than I am..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

You may have been there already but this site has helped me understand the differences. My son has one and I have replaced the headset a few times (I like theTurtle Beach ones), be sure to get the movie remote control if any movies are to be watched (game controllers work for movies but are cumbersome), get at least two controllers to start with (depends on how many friends he has over together), think about how you want to connect to the www. our wireless works good enough to stream Netflix HD without issue but he complains of game lag at times if not hard wired.

the new ps3 slims are not backwards compatible with ps2 games. unless your grandson is incredibly nostalgic, i doubt he'll miss that functionality once he starts playing some ps3 titles (i'm 28, nostalgic, and haven't ever looked back). As far as which model to get ..start with the smaller one. If he ends up eating up the space, he can always get a 500gb laptop drive for about $100 and pop it right in ..sony got that part right.