Emotiva Ultra 12 Review -With Some Pics- UPDATE 1/18/2011 (Link To Audioholics Review)

Ironsave

Wow, that initial sale price of the 12 sure was amazing considering the current price tag! You guys sure got in at a good time.

Yeah, the price put me over the top; I am used to getting good deals (40-50% off or more) on used speakers, but $230 off of a new sub was irresistable.

I think the $599 price tag is up there, and I will not try to say it is better than other subs in that price category, but I am pretty confident it can hold its own....

At $369, I think it was a steal...... [:#] I wonder if they will be repeating the sale........

I'll shut up now....... [:)]

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my Ultra 12 in place now. I am running it behind the listening area along the back wall about 18" away from the corner. Room size is roughly 14x20x7, closed type floor plan.

I have an Yamaha HTR-5960, Academy, Quartets and RS25s.

At anything above 3.5 on the subs volume my Yamaha complains that the level is too high. This is sort of good as it leaves a lot of headroom in the amp section. Once I dialed everything it I got 80dB across the board pretty easy on the rest of my gear.

Music and movies have much more presence now. It's amazing the low end that was missing.

I don't think there is was a better choice new or used at the $350 price and 15ish cube size points. Most of use have a limit to what we can accept based on size and money in our rooms.

I have to still measure with my SPL meter when the wife is out of the house, but I am getting down to low 25Hz...probably at -3dB. If I boost the sub volume I can hit 23Hz but that's probably -6dB. IMHO this is about where this sized 12" sealed sub should be. It compared to the STF-2 by HSU, but I think it has a bit more presence. I didn't A/B test it in the same room though nor home.

If one was willing to nearly double their price HSU has subs that are bigger yet may give you 3-5Hz only if you are lucky (and this would be at -3-6dB as well). I wanted to try eDesign's A2-300, but I wasn't crazy about the finish nor wait time. If I was spending $600, I'd have really tried to find a A3-300 or A5s-300 locally to sit with. These two are crowd favorites. Again much bigger and you have a long wait time to get them.

I am happy with this and my wife is as well.

Alke,

I am glad you are enjoying your sub.

It sounds like we did make a very good choice for the money. ( I knew I did; but hearing the same from others makes me even more sure, ya know?)

Big Cliff was on the fence; I believe he went with a different sub.

Again.... for the money, and a 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty, this was an excellent deal.

Yeah I am happy. I know of friends that have more low systems, but none of theirs are as balanced as mine esp now post-subwoofer addition. My wife says it's painful at their homes to watch...although at times she says mine is too during dynamic scenes only though. Their's she says it feels like she is drowning. :)

For cables, http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603 is hard to beat. Nice quality. I picked up their Y-adapter and a 25 and 35' RCA...the 25' ended up just perfect with just enough slack at the reciever and sub end. I was worried I was going to be too tight, but at their prices I just ordered the extra one :)

I have had one bad cable from them out of about 100 orders...I received a replacement within a week.

My total cost for a 6" Y, 25' RCA and 35' RCA was only about $26. I'd have loved to have the dough to blow on a $300+ interconnect (and I have in my days) and not worry if what got sent to me would be good, but monoprice always comes through with a much better bang for buck than I expected.

I didn't know about Radio Shack SPL meter having a correction factor. I tested with ARIA....my numbers may be off. I am thinking though I am getting exactly what they put in specs now.

edit: original post:I am not corner loaded and in my room I am down -8db at 22-23Hz...still up at 24-25 about -3db from my 80dB level, this is on an actual SPL meter.

Hello Cliff,

First of all thank you for your interest in Emotiva. The +/-3dB
frequency response of the Ultra 12 is 30Hz-200Hz. I hope this helps and please
let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Emotiva
Support

Emotiva Audio Corporation

135 Southeast Parkway Court | Franklin, TN 37064

615-790-6754 | www.emotiva.com

emo.logo

Cliff,

I do not have a device for measurement.

I trust (Alke's) actual measurements versus a manufacturer spec. (It could be -3db all the way down to 22 hz). The sub is sealed and excellent for music.

I watched "The Book Of Eli" again last night and my HT experience was better than the theatre where we saw "Inception". This sub is VERY good.

If this email is what you based your decision on; I am sorry, but you missed out on a fabulously performing 12" sub. (For the money).

Yes that is why I did not buy it, those specs, LOW end of the +/-3db(from Emotiva themselves) do not match up. The HSU STF2 was 22hz bottom end +/-3db, just a decision made on manufactures specifications. Maybe if I listened to them both in A/B comparison I might have chose differently but I had no way of doing that. I just hope I am as happy with my HSU Research sub as you are with the Ultra 12. Sometimes I may rely on technical specification too much. Enjoy your new listening experiances.

Cliff

based on this review of the HSU STF-2 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/189521/hsu-research-stf-2-subwoofer-test-review

I am pretty sure they are relatively equals. I'd give the nod to the Emotiva with better foot options, a smaller foot print and more overall amp power. HSU gets a nod to being in the market a longer time and having a pretty big fanbase.

I am willing to bet a blind test would yield no clear winner.

I am going to try to go over his review when I get home and test my Ultra 12 the same way they did.

• 3 weeks later...

I had someone ask me about the sub today on another thread... (Longer term inpressions).

Here is my reply:

"I am still geeked about it. I have had the sub for a month+ now (I think) and I am still amazed at how tight it is.

I listen to a lot of metal, fast double beats; blast beats; etc..... The sub does it effortlessly. It does Geezer's Bass (Black Sabbath) closer than I've eever heard since I saw them live. A very musical (accurate musically) sub; and HT has been amazing.

It may not be the best sub out there, but I think for the money (On sale ESPECIALLY), not much can touch it.

Bang for Buck:

Fit and Finish:

I wish it had a walnut veneer option; this would be a 10. As it is; a little liquid gold and the wood has an irredescent quality. (Hope I spelled that right). The wood is quite beautiful; the grill is sturdy, and the woofer and amp are TIGHTLY sealed...... Overall... NICE.

Features:

Ease of Setup:

WAF Factor:

How low can it go?

I am solid at least to 24-26HZ. I feel tones lower than that without really being able to hear them....... I know I am not getting down in the teens, but definitely in the low 20s (as advertised).

Ability to piss off neighbors? YEP.

I wish they offered other finishes; would be sweet if it matched the Beloved Hereies. (Walnut).

OVERALL:

9.4 out of 10. I LOVE IT. Cannot imagine finding something better for the sale price......

Vital, thanks for asking. You have some Emotiva gear in your sig; I can confidently say they have at least continued to stay on par with most offerings they have. I know some issues exist with some components offered; but the sub is excellent the first time."

I am not sure when/ if this goes on sale again; but when/ if it does, I would reccommend jumping on it. Even at the list price (not on sale) I feel it is at least on par with other offerings.

I welcome anyone in the area who wishes a demo to PM me.

I love my Ultra 12 too IronSave, but I think you are getting a bit generous on:

Fit and Finish:

How low can it go?

It's definitely a nice build quality and even rivals many at a multiple of it's cost, but the grill could be better and the materials used too. That would add cost though and no performance increase.

It's well within range of it's size constraints. High excursion subs can dig lower but at that point you are talking 4 figures.

I edited my post a few up about my SPL meter tests and it turns out with correction factors it may be more favorable. I tested with AVIA not the pure pink noise they may be using for those corrections. However, my readouts were definitely lower than they should be.

In the end if you want a sub in the low to mid 20-30Hz range for an average to moderate room at average power levels and listening levels it is a no-brainer.

I love my Ultra 12 too IronSave, but I think you are getting a bit generous on:

Fit and Finish:

How low can it go?

It's definitely a nice build quality and even rivals many at a multiple of it's cost, but the grill could be better and the materials used too. That would add cost though and no performance increase.

I feel that for the price we paid; the finish exceeds what it could be.

Polish yours with some liquid gold and see the grain pop. It looks nice..... Screw in Rubber Feet or Steel Feet? C'mon; for what we paid they should be stick ons!

I know more money= deeper; but we settled on a great bang for buck deal.... and we are both very happy.......

Dude; if I had $1500 for a sub, I would have been doing Epik or ED or HSU top end; but for ~ 1/4 of that price I think this sub provides 50-60% of the performance.... maybe slightly more; just not as deep.

I am solid at least to 24-26HZ. I feel tones lower than that without really being able to hear them....... I know I am not getting down in the teens, but definitely in the low 20s (as advertised).

You should play some test tones to listen how low you can hear, I can't hear much below about 50 Hz, I can feel it but don't hear it much. At 26 -20 Hz does that little thing dance across the floor?

I had a sunfire sub that was a great little sub but slid all over the hardwood floor.

I have acquired a test tone disc.

Based on my ears only, I have usable bass @20hz.

(The disc plays tones in descending order)

It starts rolling off @22 hz......

I am grinning ear to ear. I cannot complain. [:D]

I have downloaded an SPL Meter app for Android.... We will see how that goes.