New Project La scala 2nd one done (Twins)

kg4guy

Before I go cutting ply I would love to know how to calculate the flare rate.

I've seen drawings of other horns where they "unfolded" the horn and showed its overall shape. Has anyone seen one of these for a LaSca?

Or are there any other ways folks can think of to calculate how to get the final folds right?

"Or are there any other ways folks can think of to calculate how to get the final folds right?"

thats funny...

Thats not how these things we designed.

need an economy speaker....a pair from 1 sheet of ply would do it...lets call it a heresy

need a middle of the road speaker....a pair from 2 sheets of ply would do it...lets call it a cornwall

need a higher end speaker...a pair from 3 sheets of ply would do it...lets call it a lascala

need a top of the line speaker...a pair from 4 sheets of ply would do it....lets call it a khorn.

the size of the lascala exit is a direct function of the size that would result by using 3 sheets of plywood.

the funky dog house shape was simply the shape that would fit a woofer within a 3 sheet ply lascala. if you take out the two dog house sides and just used a triangle, the woofer would not fit.

later in life, folks measured the lascala, and determined it was a 53hz hi pass horn. it was not designed to be one.

you can make the cabs bigger and they will work...you can make them smaller and they will work...taller...wider...etc.

the size of the lascala exit is a direct function of the size that would result by using 3 sheets of plywood.

the funky dog house shape was simply the shape that would fit a woofer within a 3 sheet ply lascala. if you take out the two dog house sides and just used a triangle, the woofer would not fit.

later in life, folks measured the lascala, and determined it was a 53hz hi pass horn. it was not designed to be one.

you can make the cabs bigger and they will work...you can make them smaller and they will work...taller...wider...etc.

This is the best news I've gotten in a while, Fritz,. I'm always happy to take the time to re-learn a bit of math, a bit of horn theory, but eventually I hit a wall and would rather make sawdust. Thanks for the encouragement to just jump in!

For Grin's, Look at some drawings of establisbed designs. After building more than a few folded bass bins, I've found the tighter the fit and longer the path to the wall (within reason) makes for a more acceptable bin.

Case in point, the difference in the bass bin volume of the 3 EV designs.

Patrician.. 18" driver in a big set-up worked well in a accordingly large room but in a typical home environment is way too much speaker.

Georgian.. 15" driver in a relatively smaller bin & room worked well etc..

KD2... 15" driver in a tightly fitted bin (same aprox. size as a K-Horn, may be even smaller) with 3/4" HDFB or plywood ends up being close to toast (for me). No overpowering resonance and it's a listenable system that can be enjoyed endlessly sans fatigue, which says a bunch for PWK's capability as a audio design engineer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of JBL 2360A horns and 2445J drivers that might work nice also.Hmm

might...you got to be kidding....if I had those horns I would not think of using anything else....

• 2 years later...