The PAW and I haven't been getting out much...

Mallette

So we decided to change that. We went to downtown Houston for dinner Saturday night and thence to the Red Hat Jazz Club. Kyle Turner, soprano and bari saxophone, was playing with drums, synth, and electric bass. We plan to get out a LOT more. We've been in Houston 5 years and hardly touched the music scene, even though Houston has a far richer music life and history than most might assume.

Beyonce aside ([:P]), there's really quite a lot happening. Kyle was sort of "mainstream," but technically as good as I've hear live and his own compositions were extremely fine. However, it was WAY too loud. I'm guessing 110db. I really don't understand mikeing saxes and drums in a relatively small venue like that and guess they do it to overwhelm the clinking glasses and conversation. Not really necessary, as the music was good enough to do that on its own.

I carried my little Korg MR-1 and the tiny stereo mike that comes with it and recorded a set at 1 bit, 2.8mhz (SACD-DSF). I'd never used it and didn't expect much. I put it in a "boundary" mode by clipping it to the sugar package holder where it was very close to the table top. I think that made a big difference as I didn't expect anywhere near as much bass from a little "gimme" mike like that. In general, I was very pleased with the recording when I got home and put it on the K'horns. At 100db, it still wasn't as loud as in the club, hence the estimate above for the club levels. I was pretty happy turning it down to about 95db and listened to the whole set with renewed interest. Much more pleasant at "loud" but not "ouch loud" levels.

I've joined www.houstonjazz.com to learn more about the scene. It isn't a large group, but enthusiastic. Should be interesting...

Dave

• Moderators

Don't forget to check out other places other than Jazz, that's what we do, sometimes you can run across some local interesting music in some of the little clubs. I like Jazz but you never know what you can run into, some is surprisingly good.

I have bookmarked all the music places around N.O. to easily check who is playing, most of the places are $10 a person or less, many are free, we usually skip the House of Blues and places like that because of the prices but there are many more to chose from. My daughter went to a place called "Tipitinas" the other day, $8 cover, the music was called Jazz Funk, I thought she would not like it but she surprised me when she came home and said " the Sax player was great" she really liked it, you never know.

Live music beats any system

Good live music!! Inexpesive Good local Live Music!!![:D]

If the show costs 2 times or more what the cd cost it is not worth paying the money for me. I would rather spend the money on 2-5 new cds than pay 2-5 times the cost of a cd to see any band.

I saw BB King with Jimmy Vaughn and it was a great show but for what I paid I could have bought 4-6 BB King cds and gotten a lot more enjoyment out of it than the 3 hours I spent at the show.

Next weekend I'm going to see this band for free. Bought the cd great sounding cd!

http://www.loveporterdavis.com/fr_home.cfm

Support local live music in your area!!![Y]

• Moderators

Good live music!! Inexpesive Good local Live Music!!!Big Smile

If the show costs 2 times or more what the cd cost it is not worth paying the money for me. I would rather spend the money on 2-5 new cds than pay 2-5 times the cost of a cd to see any band.

I saw BB King with Jimmy Vaughn and it was a great show but for what I paid I could have bought 4-6 BB King cds and gotten a lot more enjoyment out of it than the 3 hours I spent at the show.

Next weekend I'm going to see this band for free. Bought the cd great sounding cd!

http://www.loveporterdavis.com/fr_home.cfm

Support local live music in your area!!!Yes

Your right, I am automatically cheap, I didn't think of that.

Most of the local places are free and a few are $8-$12 a person, or we just walk down Bourbon St and see cover bands for free, there are a few places worth listening down there. When Jay was down here we sat in one place over an hour before moving to another, I even bought one of there CD's, Troy Turner, we had no idea who he was but he was pretty good.

post-11804-13819600887302_thumb.jpg

post-11804-138196194284_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to check out other places other than Jazz, that's what we do, sometimes you can run across some local interesting music in some of the little clubs. I like Jazz but you never know what you can run into, some is surprisingly good.

I have bookmarked all the music places around N.O. to easily check who is playing, most of the places are $10 a person or less, many are free, we usually skip the House of Blues and places like that because of the prices but there are many more to chose from. My daughter went to a place called "Tipitinas" the other day, $8 cover, the music was called Jazz Funk, I thought she would not like it but she surprised me when she came home and said " the Sax player was great" she really liked it, you never know.

That's right Tip's always has good shows for cheap!!!

Jay

OK, so I expected the Jazz scene to be tough to crack. I'd ordered a CD from one of these guys who seems to be the main recordist both for himself as well as some others. I'll detail this story at some point, but basically we chatted a few mails, and he downloaded some of my stuff including the well regarded piano CD.

So, yesterday afternoon he emails and says he's been asked to record a big memoriam performance at Ovation, one of the clubs, today. Says he has to perform as well and asked if I'd come do it...

Sheesh, be careful what you asked for. Not knowing the location, the makeup of the band, my gear not checked out thoroughly, and being fully booked already for the day I had to decline. Real bummer, but necessary.

I am going to stay with it, though. The CD I got of his is sax and piano. It's really mellow and his own compositions are very fine. I'll review in due course.

Dave