Went from b&w to klipsch

Gregdpw

I recently just changed my b&w 6 series speakers to rb-61s and a rc-52. Everything is hooked up to a pioneer elite vsx-92txh receiver. I have had the b&w speakers for a few years and just wasn't happy with their effientcy at high volumes. These new speakers sound very very clear at high volumes. The only problem I have is that they sound a little bright. It is also hurting my ears when I watch a movie at a good volume. By turning down my x curve on my reciever, will that help? I have also done the MACC auto setup and everything was set perfectly. Can anyone give me some advice on how to turn down the brightness of these speakers? Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

How long since you have changed from your old speakers to the new?

What you are used to with the old B&Ws is likely a very different sound than what the new ones produce.

Before changing anything; you should probably listen to them as is for awhile.... Give yourself a chance to get accustomed.

If you are using an EQ that was calibrated for your old speakers, I suggest (documenting settings; then) remapping to a nuetral point, and after a week or two, begin to experiment a bit.

What you detect as "bright" is probably in reality more accurate to what the true sound of a given audio source/ track is.

Good Luck....

If you are using an EQ that was calibrated for your old speakers, I suggest (documenting settings; then) remapping to a nuetral point, and after a week or two, begin to experiment a bit.

Good advice. Are you running Audyssey or the like?

I see. My pre-pro has ARC (Anthem Room Correction) which I'm sure is similar to MCACC and Audyssey. I did a lot of reading about it before I ever tried using it. One of the things I read is that using room correction software in systems using horn loaded drivers and conventional radiating drivers caused different results in what the mic saw. Horn loaded speaker systems are more mic placement sensitive than direct radiating speakers. The OP may want to try listening with MCACC off (if that's possible) to see if some of the harshness goes away. If it does, he may want to re-run it and keep the mic in the speakers direct "line of sight".

I currently have a pioneer vsx-92thx reciever. Just bought some klipsch

rb-61s and a rc-52. i have set the x curve to -3db on my pioneer elite

reciever to try to get the treble decreased. i think it sounds pretty

good now. but the only problem i have now is when i have the volume up

pretty loud and the dialog is very clear, but when ever the scene gets

loud, its gets ear peircing loud! i have the center down to -7db and

left and right to -0.5db. crossover set to 80hz and all speakers are set

to small. i have also set the MACC auto calibration. i was watching

The Departed blu ray with volume setting -8db.

Welecome to the real world of sound. Real sounds are harsh, loud and uncomfortable at times, klipsh speakers give that to you in all their glory and pain.

Think about common sounds in everyday situations, car tires screeching, motorcycles talking off, semi brakes squeaking and air pressure releasing.

Think about your truck door slamming, your garbage truck going by.

If you play music, go slam on some crash cymbals, ride that ride, play those high hats, play a ripping lead on the guitar.

All these are things that your klipsch speakers will now let you hear and the fun part you get to listen to them louder than the occur on a regular basis.

As Iron suggested give them sometime and listen to what the speaker really have to offer, listen for things in the background you may have missed in the past. In movies, listen for clothes rustling in the wind, or leave scrapping the pavement as the whistle by, listen to the rain and listen to the conversations that are happening, that are not in the focus.

Then make a decision.

-8 is a little high for volume. I have the same receiver and usually keep it at around -14 or -15. Sometimes on a movie I might move it up to -12, -11, but that's pushing it. I'm also pretty sure I have my FL and FR set lower than -0.5. If you are used to watching movies at that volume with the B&Ws, keep in mind that because the Klipsch are more efficient, they will be louder if you use the same receiver settings.

Also, why do you have your center down so low? Is that how the MCACC set it up? That just doesn't seem like it would be right.

I agree with the others here, give yourself a little time to get used to it.

Give it some time like mentioned above before you make alot of changes because it takes time for your ears to adjust to the new sound. Its just like going to separates it takes time to get use to the Dynamic sound you get with a seperate amp and im sure its the same with klipsch and any other speaker your not use to . Also consider room treatments in the future as it will make a huge difference in taming your room .

Give it some time like mentioned above before you make alot of changes because it takes time for your ears to adjust to the new sound. Its just like going to separates it takes time to get use to the Dynamic sound you get with a seperate amp and im sure its the same with klipsch and any other speaker your not use to . Also consider room treatments in the future as it will make a huge difference in taming your room .

You been lurking around here awhile? Welcome to the forum.

Hi and Thank you for the welcome actualy I just found this forum last night but have always admired Klipsch and considering changing out my speakers and switching even though im very happy with my current setup im feeling the upgrade itch lol .

A friend had Paradigm (which did sound nice) before I talked him over to Klipsch. He's happy....that live sound & all.

i actually just returned the klipsch speakers, the horns just didnt sound as good as the bowers and wilkins. trying some paradigm speakers tomarrow!

I'm sorry. [:|] (For you)

I guess there is a valid reason why Bose and other companies continue to turn a profit.

Good luck.