RB-81s as a Center

Rivernuggets

I have a pair of RB-81s for sale in the Garage Sale section. Been thinking of keeping them for center channel duty. Read a couple posts in the archives saying that laying them down on their sides (tweeters together) would be acceptable. Am I just pursuing the wrong outcome here?

Couple more questions. If a pair of 81s are OK as a center, should I hook them up in parallel? Would a 4 Ohm load be too much strain on one channel of an Emotiva XPA-3? Would this mess up the front stage?

Or.... sell the RB-81s and find an RC-7 or RC-64. [H]

Thanks again for your thoughts and time.

if i had more room for 80lbs of hanging bookshelves id love 7.1 or a more immersed 5.1 since your close :D never tested the 81s out as a front stage but i imagine the 64 is tough competition unless you want to lay a 83 flat, my 2 pennies, however you could just split the signal from the preamp instead of running parallel if it raises any issues

Since you already have the speakers you might as well give it a try. I highly doubt a 4 ohm load would put much of any strain on your amp.

As long as you level matched your speakers and position them like you described (on their side, tweeters together) I think it would sound really good. You would be doing kind of the opposite of an RC-64, though, since you'd have more high frequencies and less midrange/midbass due to adding a tweeter and subtracing two woofers.

Give it a try and let us know what you think!

i suppose ill give er a go in the next few days and let ya know how it sounds, ill just split the signal rather than daisy chain itll be easier (i think i ran out of wire), i imagine its going to be a bit different and maybe more like a rc62 but with an extra tweeter, i think rc64s for center and surrounds should sound better than the vice versa method that will eventually be attempted...now theres a thought any1 got a few extra 64s that i can toy with :) or maybe some 62s even would be fun to try