Cartridge for Thorens TD-160

ajcllc

You probably already know this, but at The Vinyl Engine there is a wealth of info regarding matching cartridge to arm. In addition to a very active forum (including one Thorens-specific), they have a wonderful library full of original manuals, spec sheets, calculators (for matching arm to cart), etc. The library is accessible to those who join (free, of course). Highly recommended.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the TD-160. All I know is the DL-103R (which I do have) is a bad match to the particular SME 3009 arm I own...[:(] It'll work in the Ortofon arm, though!

I have to agree with Groom, take a look at the M97xE. I currently have one on my 160.

Like you I have considered the DL-103R but after cart purchase and the setup purchase it's not an option at the moment.

If you do go this route I would like to hear your opinion on it.

James

Let me clarify by also adding this. I am currently running my tubed line stage with a different solid state phono stage. That is how I am able to try the Stanton, Shure, and other cartridges. The custom-built phono stage is another phono stage that is tubed, while the other phono stage is solid state. The solid state phono stage is MM/MC compliant, while the tubed phono stage is LOMC compliant only. Has anyone ever tried or is currently using a Denon DL-103R with a Thorens TD-160 with its stock tonearm?