Jubilee clone bottoms with Altec 511B/808-8B combo

kwingylee

Some updates on my Jubilee clone saga...

Feeling unsatisfied with the HF response of the 808-8Bs, I got a pair of TAD-2001s to replaced them.

Dr. Who and his buddy Mike H came over one evening to mount and attempt to dial in the TADs.

The result is that the highs are indeed better, but the midrange magic is gone.

After messing around and not able get the magic back, I was about to put the Altecs back (glad I didn't sell them)......

then a fine gentleman let me borrow his LeCleac'h JMLC 350s with JBL 2435HPL drivers.

The drivers have beryllium diaphragms installed,

I hooked them up last week. This setup sounds very very good. The LeCleac'h horns are smooooooth, but the highs sometimes sound a bit raspy..

I would like to swap out the JBLs for the TADs - to see if I can get the HF smoothness.

However, the JBLs are 1.5" drivers.

The TAD-2001s are 1" drivers.

I know I need adaptors for this. I can try to buy them or make my own. What should the proper adaptor look like? What is the correct distance between the 1" and 1.5"?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Kwing

In regards to your hiss issue. do you have the Dx38 outputs set to -6dB? That's at the 12 o'clock position, and there's a detent at that position, so you can have all four outputs matching properly. That's the setting recommended in the E-V owners manual.

You can turn the outputs down lower and completely eliminate any hiss, but as Dr Who pointed out, it can be hard to precisely match all four channels.

In any case, if there's a bit of hiss near the speakers, but you can't hear it from your listening position, it doesn't really matter.

Also, have you considered getting K402 horns? They sound good with the included K-69s, and are said to sound great with TADs.

• Moderators

I got the USB to RS232 interface working finally. The culprit turns out to be the USB extension cables and the hubs in the chain.I got it to work with a straight DB9 cable or the USB/RS232 converter....

It took me forever to get it working.

The only way I can open the RS232 port is if i try to send the program to the DX, it says not connected, do you still want to send? If you send it it will connect and work if that is right it could be alot easier or at least explained.