Did I Screw Up?

CapZark

I purchased a Sumsung Plasma TV, but went back to the store and swapped it out for a new model LED. I am going to hang it on a wall and the LED is 30 lbs lighter. I was also told that the Plasmas run hot and hanging them on a wall is not a good idea. The guy at the store said I could do what I wanted, but he thought the Plasma was a better TV. They are both high end models. Did I screw up?

Plasmas do get hotter (warmer) than LEDs by nature of electronics. Neither one has an issue hanging on a wall (I personally would NEVER hang any TV over a fireplace, too high even if the fire was never lit; soot, heat, etc).

I have decided, based on my www research and owning all 4 (DLP, plasma, LCD and LED) that it ultimately depends on the brightness of the room and which TV looks the best to you using the signal you MOST OFTEN watch. Some great HDTVs look like crap with SD signal. I recommend that you put the remote in your hand at the store and bring all color, contrast, brightness controls to neutral before comparison. Also LOOK to see what cabling is used and what the source is. I don't know how many times I have been told by sales-folks that I am watching 1080p when the TV is connected to a local cable company box (or anything) with component cabling.

Sorry, rant mode: OFF

when it comes to plasmas vs lcds and what-not it really is personal preference, yes it does mater the lighting conditions of the room but not as much for every day viewing. personally i'm not a fan of plasmas, there are a loyal group of followers keeping the technology in the stores, but to be honest plasmas aren't going to last NEARLY as long as LCDs, they get pretty hot which can cause burn in on the screen no matter how much they advertise that had been fixed, its still an issue. i my self have a samsung 8000 led LCD and i love it.

good luck with your decisions

I double checked to make sure.....the viewing angle on a plasma is better.....if you sit dead center...no problem with LED or LCD....but if you have the TV centered...and seating on the sides of your room...the viewing angle of LCD and LED may not be good enough for small rooms....less of a problem with large rooms....check the link below.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fXz1Ssrpfdg/learn/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

I double checked to make sure.....the viewing angle on a plasma is better.....if you sit dead center...no problem with LED or LCD....but if you have the TV centered...and seating on the sides of your room...the viewing angle of LCD and LED may not be good enough for small rooms....less of a problem with large rooms....check the link below.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fXz1Ssrpfdg/learn/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

I've had both LCD and Plasma. I realize it's a personal pref. but TO ME... The Plasma has a much better overall pic. As for "burn-in"... haven't seen it once in over a year and a half (I watch ESPN (the ticker) and play PS3 all the time, supposedly two of the most burn-in inducing practices).

Everyone is right, there are a lot of variables. However, I've seen a professionally calibrated Kuro in a normally lit room... Absolutly breathtaking. Haven't seen an LCD/LED/ or other Plasma that can hold a candle to it.

Again, personal preference.

News flash - the Plasma went on sale so I did a return on the LED and repurchased the Plasma. For some reason I am sleeping better at night. Plasma seems to be the way for us to go for now. Everyone I talked to at the store (5 different people) was sold on the Plasma. In the end, I'm sure they are both great sets.

What you have to do now is stop looking and comparing, it will drive you nuts!

No question about, Bos. Once you pull the trigger you start really looking around. People are wierd that way, I guess. We spend a lot less time picking a doctor than we do a TV, but picking a TV is a lot more fun!