DIY sub for Klipschorn based HT (and music) - Tuba HT - build done (except for finish)!

psg

Forgot my camera last night...

Before I went to the shop, I removed most of the angle cut with a jigsaw so i know there will be no rubbing. I glued in that panel with biscuits for alignment, as well as cut and glued panel #4. I then cut panel #5 to proper size and angle. We'll call that the panel from hell! Took me a long time to dry fit and drill pilot holes. The board kept slippingon panel #1 because of the 9 degree angle cut. I got it dry-fitted and ready for glue, but decided to make my 3/5 braces and glue them onto panel #5 before I glue in panel 5 next week. I should be able to get those braces in, panel 5 and the next two next week; maybe a bit more.

It's starting to draw attention at the shop!

seriously. pics! =] it's nice to see how builds progress.

speaking of builds, JBL is building my new fronts and center channel! =]

I'm gonna have to find something to do with my RF83s/RF64 as they're getting replaced by 4722N's and a 3677 =]

• Like 1

nyt, what type of filler did you use? Would drywall mud work?

it will shrink, best to use bondo. or even wood filler =]

I ended up using bondo. It was the first time I ever used it. That stuff is awesome! There was a slight learning curve in the mix ammount vs dry time, but once I got that down it went great. If you close your eyes and run your hand across the side that I put all the screws in, you can't feel even the slightest variation in the surface at the screw holes. It feels like a solid piece of undrilled wood.

nice, I can't wait to see the pics of these all together. Bondo works great for speaker enclosures if you're painting them =]

nyt, what type of filler did you use? Would drywall mud work?

it will shrink, best to use bondo. or even wood filler =]

I ended up using bondo. It was the first time I ever used it. That stuff is awesome! There was a slight learning curve in the mix ammount vs dry time, but once I got that down it went great. If you close your eyes and run your hand across the side that I put all the screws in, you can't feel even the slightest variation in the surface at the screw holes. It feels like a solid piece of undrilled wood.

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to find something to do with my RF83s/RF64 as they're getting replaced by 4722N's and a 3677 =]

I'd love to hear the 4722N. I've always felt like the CornScala (or more like a CornJub) is like a clone of the 4722N. It must rock! On the other hand, you will be leaving the Klipsch fold...

Nah, I still have my SS-1 surrounds and my KSB 3.1's as rears =]

I'd love to hear the 4722N. I've always felt like the CornScala (or more like a CornJub) is like a clone of the 4722N. It must rock! On the other hand, you will be leaving the Klipsch fold...

• Like 1

..... no :)

I'll be keeping the KSB 3.1 as my rears since space is limited. I MAY eventually replace my surrounds, but I see no reason to at the moment. I can't wait to get this stuff =]

Interestingly enough, the KSB 3.1's are the first klipsch's I ever owned. I bought them a good 15 years ago when I still lived with the folks =]

Should I start my stopwatch now to see how long you can hold out from upgrading?

Devil

• Like 1

I must say that you all are doing a fantastic job with your builds. I wish i would have taken more pictures of my THT build. I am getting the itch to build something else so i am going to build an Autotuba for my son. I have aready got the driver so now it's time to get the wood. Keep up the good work.

Sweet! Should look very nice. I'm still planning on staining mine to match WO Klipschorns, if it looks nice enough when I'm done building

I wanted to stain mine to match the mains but I wasn't quite sure what to do with the screw holes. I went as far as buying a plug cutter but changed my mind at the last minute.