HT Speakers to go with Cornwall I's

twins0649

HT experts,

I need your help. I am using a pair of CW1's with BEC sonicaps. This system will be used 50% for HT and 50% for music listening. I need your input for a center channel and sub. I do not have room for another CW or Heresy as a center channel. Any suggestions? Any recommendations on a decent sub? Will I need a sub with the CW1's for HT use?

Thank you in advance,

twins0649

I would say you definitely need a good sub for home theater; maybe not for music. Many around here like Hsu, SVS, Epik, ED (elemental Designs), DIY, and of course, Klipsch. But, options abound.

Since you don't have space in the center for a larger speaker, I would say a KLF-C7 or an Academy would be the best match. I think around the forum, either is a good choice, but favor may sway toward the C7. I would definitely pick between these two, and expect to spend $200 - $350 on the center. Have fun with your listening and eventual purchases.

• Moderators

Since you don't have room for a decent center compared to your mains I would try setting the receiver to phantom or ( no center ). That would send that signal to the front L & R which if positioned right should sound like it's coming from the center anyway.

I say this because there is alot of info that the center channel is expected to play a small one will make the whole setup sound smaller.

It's free to try, why not ?

You need a sub also, even with Cornwalls.

One more question. When were they produced? I have seen the Academy for sale but not the KLF-C7.

The KLF C7 was manufactured in the '90s, I believe late '90s, but you can check the klipsch product site. It was designed as the center for the Legend speakers (KLF 10, 20, 30), which are all 3 way speakers like the heritage line. I also saw your 'wanted' post...you may want to edit it so it doesn't say KLH C7!

The KLF C7 was manufactured in the '90s, I believe late '90s, but you can check the klipsch product site. It was designed as the center for the Legend speakers (KLF 10, 20, 30), which are all 3 way speakers like the heritage line. I also saw your 'wanted' post...you may want to edit it so it doesn't say KLH C7!

Slight correction - KLF10 is a two-way design.

Hi:

I've been using a KLF-C7 for about 8 years with my CW1's and have been more then satisfied with the results.

There has been times that I've swapped out the C7 with another CW (Non Vert) and the difference to my ears wasn't as substantial enough to warrant such a big center speaker.

I also have had an RC-3 in the mix and there was a noticeable difference so I use the RC-3 as it was intended for; It's being used with a full RF-3 HT system in my bedroom. (RF-3's, RS-3's).

Good Luck in your adventure!!!

JJ

• Moderators

I have been thinking since my last post on this thread.

I am sure a C7 or Academy would work, I am just spoiled having the room for a bigger center. After reading for years about a matching center it kind of stuck in my old brain. I could see where the size of the center could be limited by the Tv and stand.

On the other side of that, I don't even see the point of a large center or any center when the speakers are almost right on the side of the Tv ?

Look at multi channel like you would 2 ch, when the front L & R are positioned properly that will put the sound exact center of the sound stage. Even with a center this is what you want, the center will carry anything in the center and most dialog. The front L&R will play everything else from the front of the sound stage, like music and front sound effects in which you would want a little toe in on the speakers to give somewhat of that stereo effect. It will still have different material on the front two but much of the time alot of the same material as in effects.

I think the position of the speakers in multi channel is just as important as in 2 CH. Try one time when playing in multi channel to just switch to stereo if it sounds way off or not somewhat centered you may need to toe the speakers in a little........it's free try it out.

As always, just another opinion. [;)]