porting La Scala's in The Netherlands

Daan

After reading almost everything there is to read [?] about the subject and trying to decide what-to-do regarding which version to make.... my wife decided for me. The inside mod it would be, and preparations were made for [ouch....] putting the saw into my beautifull cabinets.

I admit that the first cut was the most difficult; thinking and re-thinking it from all angles [what if I want to reverse it again...?] but while working on it I even started to enjoy this modification-to-be.

Here are some pics like promissed to all people who helped me with additional info, and giving their opinion ,without I would not have started this.

[And NO..... I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK TO STOCK....]

post-35476-13819617688898_thumb.jpg

post-35476-13819621483362_thumb.jpg

Making the rear panels fit, and routing the holes for the bassports was a lot of thinking-where-and-how so that everything fits afterwards....

The size of the ports is ...well... huge. I wanted these ones because when you do something...do it good! These ports are known for good results while adding no port- noise.

post-35476-13819617715406_thumb.jpg

post-35476-138196215071_thumb.jpg

A quick first-look, after taking this pic I applied the sealant, and put all screws into place... first I just HAD to hear it.

First impression; no "booming", in fact the extended bass blends so well I had to listen some time to tell it actually IS THERE.

The more I listen now, the more I am pleased and all thoughts about ruining the actual sound of the basshorn etc. are behind me now. I have these LS's for 20 years now, and for the first time I FEEL a orchestra in full swing [the neighbours might so too] . Still have to coat the rear-panel and route the wires to the outside, since I'll be placing the ALK's outside the cabinets [reducing vibrations beeing transferred to the components have prooved to be usefull IMO.

I won't go back, listen to music with more joy, and...the wife is happy too!

A story with a happy ending therefore, I have made a lot more pics than shown, documenting various problems along the way, plus if anyone has questions I'll be able to help out, just as I was before doing this.

THANKS to you all!

Nico, The Netherlands.

post-35476-1381961772528_thumb.jpg

post-35476-13819621516784_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your replies, as for making the decision; I have been thinking this over and over again since I always wanted to keep them as original as possible...

Anyway, after the first step [replacing the woofer, tweeter and crossover] and listening to the results, there was no way back anymore.

I even sold all the old components mentioned above and used them to buy the new parts; never would go back to the K-400 for example!

After trying Bob's tweeters and a recap-set for the AA filter, I decided to go for the ALK Universals, which I have to admit indeed sound the best [with the mids at position 0-4] .

Now it's finishing up the basreflex-mod, and then to a active control which will allow me to boost the lows a bit and at the same time provide a subsonic filter that moves with the choosen frequency and cuts off just below it. [phoenix gold basscube].

I collected, refurbished and sold Phoenix Gold oldskool-gear all around the world and this device is really one of their best products when it comes to enhancing and controlling deep bass.

Link; http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/processors/basscube.html

It operates on the same 12Volts battery as my passive ARRAY P-1 pre- amp and TRENDS T-amp do.

Will update with more results.....

nico

• 7 months later...

I just found this thread. Thank you for the pictures, they explain how to use the midhorn space for additional volume instead of adding the 10" high ported box below the existing cabinet. It is great to hear you like the way they sound. I have a pair of so so LaScalas in the garage that I bought for this purpose but decided it was to obtrusive adding a 10" high box to the bottom. Thanks again.

I have a pair of so so LaScalas in the garage that I bought for this purpose but decided it was to obtrusive adding a 10" high box to the bottom.

A lot of folks added the box on the bottom so they can try it inexpensively without making any cuts on their LS. It's a lot easier to just remove the box and put the bottom back on.

Bruce