L Pad for RF-7 tweeters,what resistor R1 and R2 spec.

rugerdog

I'm still at it.Trying to tame the tweeters of my RF-7 floorstanding speakers.I don't know if any differences,my pair are from approx 2005.

I appreciate the fact I was told to parallel a 10w 10ohm resistor to the existing 10w 2ohm resistor,on the HF board of course.But not enough difference.

It's been suggested I try L Pad,but what resistor spec for R1 and what spec for R2?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

you could have easily changed the resistor all together instead of putting them in parallel. the resistor value i use is 1.8 ohm. that resistor does not control the highs in that circuit. that resistor is part of a notch circuit. it helps round off a potential spike going up to the highs, but doesn't alone tame them. please ask Jeff at Soniccraft.com for more detailed information. or you can e mail him.

here are a few suggestions if your highs bother you.

do a complete crossover upgrade. contact Jeff at sonic craft and tell him what you use your speakers for, budget, and how you like them to sound. he'll be able to tailor the crossovers to your liking and use. that way you aren't simply copying someone else's suggestion. i personally only use mine for HT and i do like my speakers sharp and bright (not harsh). i love how mine sound, but i did much more to my crossover than most here. i put pics of them in the mod section. in fact i put all the mods i did in that section.

add anti-vibration foam to the horn (like i did). that will tame them more than you will think.

i believe you have to go all the way or don't do anything. if you try and stay in the middle and only do part, you won't like your results. the cheapest way to take the harshness is the foam. if you can get your hands on dynomat, it should work. if not, i sell a kit for all 3 front speakers. it's only $30 + shipping. all the foam will do is roll off the peak highs so your ears don't hurt so much. i have another type of foam, but i felt it rolled it off too much and started sounding "muddy" or "blurred." just my opinion on what i heard with my ears in my room with my gear.

thats about it for controlling your highs in the original RF-7 and RC-7 speakers.

I'm still at it.Trying to tame the tweeters of my RF-7 floorstanding speakers.I don't know if any differences,my pair are from approx 2005.

I appreciate the fact I was told to parallel a 10w 10ohm resistor to the existing 10w 2ohm resistor,on the HF board of course.But not enough difference.

More than likely the problem is your room or your other gear if the resistor mod didn't tame it.

• Klipsch Employees

First, selling your "kits" on our site is not cool. It is against our rules so please stop. Before the "well others do it" line comes out, I will say that just like in 3rd grade, you were caught this time not them. And yes, I have an issue with this, thus my attitude. The only time Paul Klipsch got mad at me was for asking about adding dampening to the back of a horn.

As for the Lpad on the tweeter. The Lpad is a resistive load and does not change with frequency. The tweeter ckt is a reactive load and does change with frequency. so if you add a resistor to a reactive ckt it will change the total load but it will do it differently at different frequencies.

lets toss some number in this...if the tw ckt has a 10 Ohm load @ 2kHz and you add a 5 Ohm resistor in series with the ckt then you will have a 15 Ohm load at that freq. This is a big deal as you have added half again as much Resistance to the ckt. Thus, you should see a big drop in output at that freq. IF the same ckt has a 60 Ohm load at 10kHz and you add the 5 Ohm resistor then you don't see near as much change due to the ratio between the to values. You should see little change in output at that freq.

I caution anyone having a custom crossover built. I am sure many out there have done this and "like" the change. The issue I have with it is that you don't know what you have. Once done, what test are ran to confirm what has been done? Was phase and impedance taken in to account? What about the tolerance of the parts in the network and drivers? If test were ran, was the room taken out of the test or was it ran in a echo free room? When modeling the network, were the TSP and raw driver data used or just general numbers used? Why would any speaker company spend tons of money on test gear and locations it a few hundred bucks and your living room will do the trick?

The answer from the sales guys is for you to buy the new RF-7 II, but we all know that would be a hard sale.

Engineering addressed your and may other request in the new unit with new drivers and network and horn. We lowered the crossover point to about 1600Hz from 2400Hz. Part of what you hear as harsh is the break up of the woofer at high frequencies.

The one thing that is for sure, you will not hurt the speaker or its parts by adding the Lpad. If you do and you like the end result, then I am happy for you because that is what we want anyway, for you to be happy. IF you do add it, make sure you put it in series with the positive leg of the tweeter after the network. ( take the + wire off the tweeter and connect it to the input leg of the Lpad, then take the output of the Lpad and connect it to the + terminal of the tweeter.)

Good luck and sorry for the rant.

sorry for the misinterpretation, i thought a dealer or someone who manufactures products can't sell here. i simply have extra foam i thought i could offer at a really low price to help out people who have 7's that cause ringing in their ears. if you like i won't offer them to anyone, but i will stand by my suggestion for adding them. i am not trying to reinvent the wheel, i am just saying in my specific case the foam helps and makes my HT time much better.

a question regarding foam on a horn, why do people make wooden horns that essentially do the same thing? i use the foam because i don't have the skill to make a wooden one and so far no one else has. if they were available i would be in line to buy one. to me it seems like that large plastic horn is vibrating causing the harshness. i don't have any type of equipment that tells me that, but like i said, i used the foam, and that harshness is gone. yes i did use it with a stock crossover i purchased from Klipsch parts (un modified) and installed it in a brand new RF-7.

i didn't alter my crossover, except from using better parts. not saying the original parts are junk, just saying the ones i used perform better for me in my application. you can look at all the pics of the mods i have done. in fact i did speak to you about testing mine. as i understood it, if the pilgrimage comes back to hope, i have an opportunity to have you test them. i am curious what i did to them. i know this, what i hear now is way different from when i started. i am more happy with what i have now, then when i first started. not saying the original was bad, just now they fit with more how i like my HT.

if i could afford the RF-7II i would. i am however a little upset about them. what you guys did to the appearance is exactly what i have planned to do. i unfortunatly haven't done it yet, the guy is busy right now. i was hoping to have the only pair like that, but oh well. still a very nice job on the new line.

thanks for the info.

• Klipsch Employees

I don't want to discount what you hear...I have not heard it. However, one would think that to change the mechanical resonance of that horn to be higher than it is when mounted to the wood motor board you would have to use a dampening that is more dense than the wood. ring a bell, hear the sound. Put the bell on the table and ring it again. What did just sitting it on the table do? Just this last June I understood why PWK got mad at me. We found a number of K-400 horns with different type of "stuff" on the back of the horn. All test for just this question. As I am sure you know, PWK did not add anything to the horn.

I am sure the difference could be measured, I question that it can be heard.

The main thing is that you are happy with what you have. The enjoyment of the sound is what we all are after.

As for measuring you speakers, I would be glad to if we ever get a chance.

More than likely the problem is your room or your other gear if the resistor mod didn't tame it.

That, or he just doesn't like the sound of compression drivers.