Unexpected nostalgia

oscarsear

Still putzing with the house. I have that late 60's Hendrix/Blue Cheer concert poster already framed and needed more stuff on the walls around it. Just for grins I look them up on ebay under records (as in vinyl). There I find Hendrix Axis' and BC's Vinibus' albums, both new and wrapped. So I bought them thinking I would frame them. One arrived yesterday. I have not touched a new album in decades. Just handling the thing released a totally unexpected surge of nostalgia. I used to buy my records at The Music Odyssey on Wilshire Blvd, in West L.A. Back then each purchase required some saving and a lot of effort. I did not buy a ton of music and really thought hard about my selections. These are the 1st records I have purchased since the early 70's. They will stay wrapped. I don't own a turntable. I'm pretty sure they are new pressings so they're not especially valuable. I guess I'll frame them after I slobber all over them for a week or so. Weird, huh? Maybe I need therapy or maybe this IS therapy.

I know how you feel! I've bought a few new LP's lately and I feel like I'm a teenager again, although I certainly don't look it! You should get yourself a turntable and listen to your LP's before framing them. It's amazing how good vinyl sounds these days!

Did you catch any of the concerts back then? Anyway, when you get into the framing, consider that all these are archival items. So you might look at conservation framing techniques such as acid free mattboard, uv resistant glass & etc. And think about displaying them well away from any direct window light. Any history, photos or provenance that you may have such as where, when and how you got the poster and records could be included on the back mounting boards. This will make the items that much more meaningful as they continue their voyage through time.

Did you know that Blue Cheer was a fair to middling reality enhancer back in the good old days.

Slainte or should I say 'Cheers' even 'Blue Cheers'.

Hamish

Did you catch any of the concerts back then? Anyway, when you get into the framing, consider that all these are archival items. So you might look at conservation framing techniques such as acid free mattboard, uv resistant glass & etc. And think about displaying them well away from any direct window light. Any history, photos or provenance that you may have such as where, when and how you got the poster and records could be included on the back mounting boards. This will make the items that much more meaningful as they continue their voyage through time.

Did you know that Blue Cheer was a fair to middling reality enhancer back in the good old days.

Slainte or should I say 'Cheers' even 'Blue Cheers'.

Hamish

I was an usher at the Hollywood Bowl from 67 to 69 so I seen plenty-O-concerts and met some interesting folks too. I really do not think these are genuinely old recordings. I think they are repressings. Thinking about some simple mylar sleeves. Not so sure what 'reality enhancer' means. BC reminds me of a well practiced garage band intent on losing their hearing at a young age. I recall that they were a guest on the Steve Allen variety show. The stage curtains slid to the sides revealing a massive wall of amps and speakers and Summertime Blues parted the eyebrows of the audience. Steve Allen was agape. No interview followed their performance. Ah, live television. BC was fun but not much different than other less sophisticated bands. The SEEDS come to mind (yikes).

ahem... In the tradition of Owsley, Purple Microdots, Windowpanes, there was a reality enhancing product named Blue Cheer. I thought that was where the band took the name.

Wow - you were at the Bowl between '67 & '69, - legendary performances - Did you see the Doors maybe?

A lot of those bands toured up to Vancouver. There was one festival in the fall of '69 north of Vancouver at Squamish - Little Richard, Canned Heat, A Group Called Smith, Flying Burrito Brothers, Chicago Transit Authority (first Canadian gig) and Alice Cooper (first Canadian gig). Overall, the festival was a zoo. Everyone walked in over broken fences, bikers were beating up longhairs, bad reality enhancers were going around - but some great music.

In other concerts either in Vancouver or Toronto, I caught Country Joe & the Fish, Jefferson Airplane, Johnny Winters, Collectors, Tiny Tim, Moody Blues, Sha-na-na, Melanie, Chilliwack. Rare Earth, more Alice Cooper and a number of Canadian bands. For me, having been able to see those bands perform in those days and listen to the recordings now, has more of an effect than listening to a band that I never saw (but wish I had because the opportunities were there).

Some of the tv shows - Ed Sullivan, Steve (make me a salad) Allen, Smothers Brothers, etc. really broke new ground in bringing the bands in. Great way to see them and get that visual fix. Way before MTV.

Slainte

Hamish

Some of the tv shows - Ed Sullivan, Steve (make me a salad) Allen, Smothers Brothers, etc. really broke new ground in bringing the bands in. Great way to see them and get that visual fix. Way before MTV.

I remember first seeing Todd Rundgren on the Mike Douglas show!

I have not touched a new album in decades. Just handling the thing released a totally unexpected surge of nostalgia.

I find increasing amounts of cultural nostalgia nowadays--in car designs, music, and other 60's culture--that wasn't really present in the respective 60s or 70s for the 20s-to-30s. Maybe a movie or two but relatively little 40 years in the past then.

I also listen to the great rock recordings from the late 60s and early 70s, too, but I also find that I'm discovering nostalgia in other music that I didn't listen to at the time: notably bebop and cool jazz. It's amazing to me how good those compositions and artists were at that time, and that I didn't really listen to when I was young. Coltrane, Davis, Gillespie, Parker, Ellington and Monk, etc. were truly amazing: their work has thus far withstood the test of time.

It's like awakening from a long sleep [|-)] and looking forward by looking backward...

Chris