Encouragement or Caution for late 80's KHorns?

artarama

WOW I have never seen that jack cup used on Klipschorns. Do some of you other guys have these? Very nice job cleaning them up, didn't catch the products used, was it Murphy's Oil Soap followed by Watco Rejuvenating Oil?

Michael,

Those are the exact products I used. I vaccumed as much dust off as I could, then dusted with a dry cloth (old T-shirt), then three buckets of Murphy's oil soap. Let them dry then one coat of Rejuvenating oil, being sure to wipe off any excess after it sets for a few minutes. I plan on doing a couple more coats this week end.

The jack cups are brushed aluminum, the picture doesen't show it but the logo is perfect.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"These things are definitely not for the inexperienced or faint of heart, kind of like giving a Hayabusa to a sixteen year old. The mighty KHorns will simply not tolerate dirty vinyl or poor recordings. They are very picky about just what electronics they will mate with."

Boy I can really relate to that! Around 2004 when my Klipschorns were new GaryMD came to my previous home in Ocean Pines MD and hooked up a little 10 wpc Fisher tube amp to them and they really soared on pop/rock/popular. Less of a difference on classical but that's in the natrure of things I guess. It turned out that the SS amp I had then was really crappy. I bought and ran them for a while with a Jolida tube amp but that didn't do much for them.. For the present I'm happy with a ca. 1999 Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver bought from my son for $75.00. I guess vintage - SS or tubes - is the way to go with these babies.

Still....when you want to crank them up and let them out to run, you gotta believe that like 1950's cars, "you can't beat cubic inches." The Klipschorns can put out just such huge, prodigious sound yet so precisely, without breakup and without strain. Nice. Plus, deep down inside in our reptilian brains there's the atavistic satisfaction of knowing that you've got a pair of world-class speakers that can give a good competitive run against any of even much more expensive esoterica out there. That psychological aspect counts for something too.

This thread is making me really anxious. Very, very nice speakers and I'm enjoying reading your thread. I have a pair of '78s that I purchased and haven't been able to hook up yet. They are my winter project, and I have other projects that have to be completed first. SWMBO says I have a couple pair of speakers need to find a new home before these are brought in. Does anybody here think 4 pair of Heresy's and pair of Cornwalls is too much?

This thread is making me really anxious. Very, very nice speakers and I'm enjoying reading your thread. I have a pair of '78s that I purchased and haven't been able to hook up yet. They are my winter project, and I have other projects that have to be completed first. SWMBO says I have a couple pair of speakers need to find a new home before these are brought in. Does anybody here think 4 pair of Heresy's and pair of Cornwalls is too much?

I think 4 pairs of Heresys and a pair of Corns is just fine....otherwise I am in real trouble too.

I want to cautiously encourage you.

Thanks Jackson!

At this point I am happy to report that I am thrilled more than ever with the KHorns. Any trepedation was based only on ignorance. These things rock! IMHO, if you have the space for them, there is no way they will fail you. All issues if there are any, lie upstream of these guy's. I don't know what more you could ask of a speaker.

Maybe they could generate electricity somehow or make you a musician just by listening to them [H] [Y]

"At this point I am happy to report that I am thrilled more than ever with the KHorns."

Very glad to hear that you're happier with them. What particular amp-Khorn combo finally did the trick for you?

Hey DT, sorry to let this hang for so long with out reply.

I am using the Scott 299 for the KHorns and the Marantz MA700 with a LaScala for the third center channel. Most of the time I am listening only to the two KHorns with out the center. The Klipschhorns are simply amazing in how they fill a large room with sound with such ease and clarity. There are a lot of nuances that can be hammered out but the two speakers and the Scott and the room are 90% of the equation. Probably a 30-30-30 split of importance.

Your system is only as good as the weakest link.

I am also paying a lot more attention to clean records. I am also enjoying my digital music more.