davis419b

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don,

I'm still a bit confused.. What all do you have for gear on hand now?

I have a VRD stereo 45, BBX w/LOMC,Dodd 120wpc monoblocks, dodd tube preamp, Tsakiridis 35wpc monoblocks, Holfi battery powered SS preamp, Dynaco newer ST-70 and a restored Fisher 400 and alot of SS receivers. I have 6 khorns and that is where I am using the tube gear.

Thought I'd wade in here. Back in my Dahlquist days, I replaced an Audio Research D-79 (75 wpc) with an ARC D-160 (160 wpc. There was a big difference - better bass, the stereo imaging went from bas-relief to 3-D, and the sense that it would never run out of power. Very seductive. The only problem was the high rise flames that came out of it from time to time. The second time it took all 10 6550 output tubes with it. I understand this is not uncommon with some of the bigger power tube amps.

Tube rolling seems to make more of a difference with some amps than with others. Going from GE 6550s to original Gold Lion KT-88s made a huge difference in the Mc-275 - made me forget all the dents and pitting. EL-34s vs. KT-77s in a Marantz 8b, not so much. Chinese Silver Dragons vs. EH ersatz Philips in a Marantz 9-II, quite noticeable. You have to trust yourself.

Thought I'd wade in here. Back in my Dahlquist days, I replaced an Audio Research D-79 (75 wpc) with an ARC D-160 (160 wpc. There was a big difference - better bass, the stereo imaging went from bas-relief to 3-D, and the sense that it would never run out of power. Very seductive. The only problem was the high rise flames that came out of it from time to time. The second time it took all 10 6550 output tubes with it. I understand this is not uncommon with some of the bigger power tube amps.

Tube rolling seems to make more of a difference with some amps than with others. Going from GE 6550s to original Gold Lion KT-88s made a huge difference in the Mc-275 - made me forget all the dents and pitting. EL-34s vs. KT-77s in a Marantz 8b, not so much. Chinese Silver Dragons vs. EI ersatz Mullards in a Marantz 9-II, quite noticeable. You have to trust yourself.

There is not much to trust as I have little experience, but my ears. As far as my ears go you have to realize I have been in construction for 40 years and and into dragracing for the last 30 years. I dont think I hear the same things everybody else hears.

Wow that's a bunch of gear to roll around on a bunch of speakers.... How do you go about deciding what you like better... how many system are these 6 Khorns used on? How many rooms? Sounds like you possibly should slow down on the purchasing and take a more analytical approach to getting things to sound like you prefer it. That way you can find exactly what piece of gear is taking a step back and what takes you a step forward. Also when dealing with separates there is a mating issue...one preamp can sound great with one and and horrible with the next. Same with amps.

Also realize that it's impossible to get that initial thrill of hearing tubes on your system to repeat after that first few audition's. Audio boredom is most of what spurs business activity in the audio business. Many a person has parted ways with bunches of cash chasing a ghost!!

Well, in my case, I'm planning on winning the lottery and moving into a couple of 20 room mansions, and I want to be prepared. And it is fun to swap stuff in and out of the system from time to time as well as not be musicless when something goes out for repair.

NOS is absolutely correct - system matching is a paramount and often lost art in audio. When I first got into hi-fi, and dinosaurs and Studebakers roamed the earth, my Marantz 2s sounded much better with the preamp out from a Nivico 5020 receiver than they did with a Dynaco PAS 3. My Marantz 7 starts losing top end if it's more than about six feet from the amp. At the movie theaters, you'll often find that the individual amps, pick-ups, speakers and so on sound terrible on their own, but put them all together (and put the speakers behind a perforated screen) and you can have a pretty magnificent result.

Wow that's a bunch of gear to roll around on a bunch of speakers.... How do you go about deciding what you like better... how many system are these 6 Khorns used on? How many rooms? Sounds like you possibly should slow down on the purchasing and take a more analytical approach to getting things to sound like you prefer it. That way you can find exactly what piece of gear is taking a step back and what takes you a step forward. Also when dealing with separates there is a mating issue...one preamp can sound great with one and and horrible with the next. Same with amps.

Also realize that it's impossible to get that initial thrill of hearing tubes on your system to repeat after that first few audition's. Audio boredom is most of what spurs business activity in the audio business. Many a person has parted ways with bunches of cash chasing a ghost!!

It is alot of gear but nothing compared to what I have had in the last 3 years. I have had over 75 SS receivers and 40 pairs of Klipsch speakers. I am now down to 22 SS receivers and 11 pair of Klipsch speakers. I have decided to collect the Sansui XOXO series and have all but 2 of the European black face models with multiples of some of them with the 8080db being my favorite. The Khorn and the Chorus II are my favorite Klipsch speakers !

In my den I use 4 khorns and an Academy for H/T and the front mains for 2-channel with tubes. I also have 2 SVS PB-12-Ultra 2 subs (which are monsters @ 190lbs. each), 2 Klipsch SW-12 and 1 SW-10. I have not been able to really get the subs dialed in yet. I am also trying to get into the vinyl world with a Thorens TD 145 which I am also baffeled by. The den seems to have better sound than any room in the house. I use the other 2 khorns in my living room which has always been a problem with the bass. It seems to sound a little boomy which the tubes have cured. I also have a mint Sansui 929 TT in there but again I think the cartridge is wrong. In my office. I have Chorus II,s and a mint pair Heresy HBL w/cane grills. I love the Chorus II but have never really been a big fan of Heresy,s. I keep them because they are so pretty. I use the smaller tube gear and SS with the Chorus II,s. In my bedroom I have Chorus II and Sansui. In my garage I have Heresy and SS.

You are so right about slowing down on buying and learn how to create synergy in the systems. After I finish buying what I want this year that will be my goal for next year. If I dont stop buying my family will probablly contact the HOARDERS show and turn me in. I will post a pictue of the room where I keep my extra gear and you can see why. I consider this room to be my safety deposit box where I keep my money as I know it will bring me as much or more than I have in it when I sell it. When I retired from drag racing I ended up with alot of time on my hands which you for sure know what I mean !

Thanks for the advice and I am definately going to take it !

Don

post-29696-13819619532086_thumb.jpg

post-29696-1381962289788_thumb.jpg

In my den I use 4 khorns and an Academy for H/T

Just wondering what you think about the Academy? I had three of them with my LaScalas and was always underwhelmed with their performance (relative to the LaScalas). I finally sent them to a new home. I've become a firm believer of three identical across the front. Tough that it is to have a Khorn in the middle!

In my den I use 4 khorns and an Academy for H/T

Just wondering what you think about the Academy? I had three of them with my LaScalas and was always underwhelmed with their performance (relative to the LaScalas). I finally sent them to a new home. I've become a firm believer of three identical across the front. Tough that it is to have a Khorn in the middle!

I like it ! I have tried a Belle and thought it was too much. My room is only 14' wide and the Academy sounds best to me.