KLF-C7 as rear center channel???

BLOOMIS914

Is anyone doing this??? I have just completed my basement HT and have all speakers going except for the rear center (all Klipsch of course!).

I am using Chorus II mains, KLF-C7 center, KSP-S6 surrounds, KSW-15 Sub in front and KSW-100 sub in rear. I pre-wired the rear-center location and am looking for a good match to the S6's or am now considering the C7 as an option (thanks for the idea Boa12).

Question is, how do I wall mount a C7 or should I build a shelf for it??? Also, can the C7 be mounted veritcal (I) as compared to the conventional horizontal position (-)??

Will the dispersion pattern from the horn now be more up and down (I) instead of across the room (--)?? I have to believe the C7 is designed to be used as a center front in the horizontal position....

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions or first hand experience??

Thanks, Brett

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

I'm currently using a C7 up front with my 30's, but will be moving it to the back center in a week or two when my KLF-10 center channel is finished.

I'm going to shelf mount mine and angle it down a little. Not sure about moving it to a vertical position, but obviously you could try it and see how it sounds.

Seems ideal for a back center to me, especially considering the amount of sound that actually is produced from that channel, should be more than enough.

Has to be better than my current KLK mini-monitors which are actually doing a good job.

According to BobG, some time ago, the tweeter in the C7 is actually turned wrong for horizontal use. If you turn the speaker on its end, vertically, the tweeter has the intended dispersion pattern. He encouraged me to look at a pair of C7s for my rear channels. I founs a second pair of La Scalas cheaper, in the end. i say go for it!

John

i have often wondered about the positioning of the c-7's horn. someone suggested that it was designed this way to keep the sound from the center from being affected by the left and right speaker cwm6.gif

i've thought about using mine as a rear center, if i ever make a hornEd center that is. you may also try to find a synergy center that has similar driver components as the ksps-6's. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Brett, I thought I already commented on this but I guess not. Yes, the KLF-C7 is an excellent choice for a Rear Effects Center... in fact it is better suited there than as a Main Center between your KLF 30 Mains.

One of the many advantages is the C7's closeness in tonal match which is better than the KSP-S6's IMHO. Another is the fact that it is a sealed enclosure and can be placed against the back wall. It has the cubic inches to do a decent job on over 90% of the sounds assigned to it.

In my HT system, twin KLF-C7's were used for a time in a 7.1 configuration but then went back to a 6.1 sound using a KLF-30 for rear effects. I have also tried an Academy rear effects with KLF-C7's for surrounds and that worked for me quite well. Currently, the pair of C7's are serving splendidly as Front Effects speakers in the Legend HT.

But, if you have adequate room, nothing does the job for 6.1 and above like having six identical speakers and killer subs! Frankly, using six monopoles sound better with DVD's with an audio mix from 1998 on sound better than the wimpy "Pro Logic mix" of yesteryear... for which the 180° wedge-shaped KSP-S6's do a particularly good job.

The trend in audio mixing is to balance sound for ambient effects and provide targeted localization for rear effects. By "targeted localization" I refer to a system used by Yamaha before ProLogic as an alternative to having a Center Main speaker. It came in handy when I had to create realism from two main speakers 26' with an 18'x9' truss-tensioned screen in the middle. Sadly, it was a proprietary system and ProLogic won the popularity contest as an industry "standard."

The technique was so effective that people visiting our 60-seat, sound-proofed upscale showroom theater that when we played music between shows, people would actually get up and peak behind the curtain to try to determine where the sound was coming from. And, of course all they found was the screen. It was so good it was spooky... a ventriloquist's fantasy... and it was really was more effective on such a wide screen than it was on an average size TV set.

The point is that as the art of sound mixing for home theater improves... the monopole side/surround and rear effects can be sent discretely integrated sounds that provide ambient and/or "structured localization" for the rear speaker array. Gladiator was a pioneering effort in 6.1 sound and Saving Private Ryan in 5.1 (matrixed by the receiver to 6.1) that heralded the use of better multi-channel sound mixing techniques.

Thus, my DVD collection is heavily oriented to movies that are either new or have been digitally re-mastered for multi-channel sound (usually 5.1). Good example of re-mastered sound is Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia... the latter one is more like a new mix because the original sound masters were lost.

One last KLF-C7 comment, these speakers do well mounted horizontally or vertically as Side-Surround and Rear Effects speakers... with the added bonus of providing very clear dialogue. I suspect that the RC-7 would work very well in the rear array as well. -HornEd

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

Bloomis-

I have the Forte IIs (Academy center) and currently run two pair of KG-1.2s for surrounds and back center and I am very pleased. I am looking at getting a pair of Chorus IIs and will put those in front, move the Fortes to the surrounds, and keep one pair of the 1.2s for back center. I like having the two speakers carrying the back center, especially for 7-ch music!

While HornEd is correct, if you have the room then 6 identical speakers is best, but those 1.2s are quite fine and I'd check them out.

I am going to use a pair of KLF C7's for my surrounds.

I am going to mount then vertically and rotate the horn 90 degress.

I will be using KLF20's for front and a KLF C7 for center.

I was thinking of using shelfs to mount to the rear wall.

I should have them hooked up within a month (close on the house April 26th).

I will let you know.

Danny

Danny, if you are using a 5.1 configuration, most people prefer to mount the side-surrounds higher than your ears when seated in the sweet spot... and a foot or two behind where your head will be.

With the speakers are actually facing each other on the side walls, you create a better potential for the rear array ambient sound delivery and have the widest area for the localized sound mixing techniques... that can make sound seem to come from anywhere in the back.

If you add a 6th and/or 7th speaker, these would go on the back wall facing toward the front array.

It would probably be a good idea to check out placement to match the acoustics of your particular listening area... before you attach shelves to the wall. Once again, the C-7's work very well on the wall since they are sealed speakers. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-08-2002 at 01:29 PM

Horn Ed,

I am going to try all locations.

It has taken me three years to get this house. The house I was living in before this I had a small den. The ex had a great den, but the stereo stayed in my den for 2 years.

All my HT stuff has been in storage since August of last year. I have not seen TV since I put my TV in storage.I know this sounds bad, but I really have not missed it. I heard 9/11,President Bush's address's, the World Series and the Super Bowl all on the radio.

I have gotten a whole new 2 channel setup.

When I was looking for a new house, it had to have three things:

1. Den for HT

2. Huge backyard for my dog

3. Bathroom

Found it. I can put the rear speakers at least 5 feet behind the sweet spot, maybe 6 -7 feet from the floor. I really have room for another pair of KLF20's for surrounds, but I am starting over. Washer and Dryers, furniture, etc.

My goal is within two years I will buy my first pair of KHORNS.

Horn Ed,I will be asking alot of questions in the next month or so..be ready.

Danny

dbf, I hear ye. I may as well have my microwave in the HT room. Biggrin.gif

the C7 is a great rear center here. pretty good front center too though wish i had room for klf-30HEC. Frown.gif

it fits perfectly on the rear fireplace (which keeps me from using front cornwalls Frown.gif) mantle nestled between the rear corns. took me a lil while to figure out it could be done (well & a pre/pro w/ 6.1+).

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/uploads/boa12/reararray.jpg

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-08-2002 at 03:58 PM

Boa,

Nice setup.

I wish I could find a pair of Cornwalls. I'd trade a pair of KLF20's, 3 KLFC7's and 1 pair of KSFS5's for a pair.

The den is big enough to have all KHORNS. I really lucked up on this house.

I am only using 5.1 right now. I am trying to get into tubes, so all extra money is going into tubes equipment.

I have a Denon AVR2700/2800 (can't remember), Pioneer DVD player and a 45 inch TV. Like I said I have not seen this stuff since last August. April 30th I move into the house.

I will try and take pictures.. oh yea she got the camera too. I will post pictures once I get set up.

Danny

thanks db! yea if i had the space i'd like to keep the

corns as surrounds, but add khorn fronts & a belle or lascala center. then figure out what to do w/ the others - probably would still use 2 C7 or academy for rear surround between the corns then either sell the 30s or use in another room.

gosh then i can put a klipsch sign on front of the home. Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

"the monopole side/surround and rear effects can be sent discretely integrated sounds that provide ambient and/or "structured localization" for the rear speaker array."

HUH? cwm15.gif

EDIT>

Oh yea Bloom, got confused and forgot my suggestion: get a KSP-C6.

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 04-08-2002 at 11:33 PM

Sorry if I failed to make myself clear, Keith.

By "structured sound localization" I mean that the sound engineer who mixes the final 5.1 sound tracks has the ability to "structure" where in the 180° rear array that a given sound appears to come from. By similar audio techniques, "structured ambient sound" is also created.

Obviously, modern movies are not made with only five or six all purpose microphones... or five or six discrete sound tracks... the sound you here is the "structured" result from many individually recorded tracks. The same goes for making modern sound recordings for music whether it is structured for two-channel or multi-channel reproduction.

When my wife and I returned from living in Europe in 1963, her 14 year-old brother in NYC was fascinated by serious amateur movies I had made over five or six year span. It changed his life and he became a recordist and then a sound engineer. Today, he and his sound engineer wife are in constant demand in Hollywood for both the music and film industry... so part of my understanding comes from windows into the current recording industry.

I am a fan of "haiku" the minimalist poetry style of Japan. It creates beautiful images in very few "simple but elegant" words. Sadly, to communicate by haiku techniques requires the reader to have similar broad based reference points as the author. Failing that, even elegant words fall into the pits of confusion and misunderstanding.

Thanks, Keith, for reminding me that (with all the words) I still failed to communicate. I will try to do better. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-09-2002 at 09:16 AM

Thanks all for the good responses and suggestions....I think am I am going to try and get my hands on a used or new KLF-C7 (color doesn't matter, but black would be preferred) Anyone selling one??

Anyway regarding how my rooms and equipment list are set up, I apologize for the confusing equipment list...let me clarify:

Great Room: KLF-30's, KLF-C7 and KSP-S6's with 35" Mitsu. TV and Marantz SR-8000

Basment HT: Chorus II mains, KLF-C7 and KSP-S6's with KSW-15 sub in front and KSw-100 sub in rear. Studio Experience SE-13HD LCD projector and 52" x 92" (106" diagonal) 16:9 high contrast screen. Using Pioneer VSX-810 and JVC FA-90BK progressive scan 7 disc DVD changer. Rear wall/center is pre-wired and waiting for final decision.

Thanks guys

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box