WOW! Bi-Amping the RF-7

Matthews

Hello all,

I have been meaning to do this for some time now, bi-amping my RF-7. Finally did it this morning. Using the M-80 (250 wpc) for the drivers and a Rotel RB-850 (50 wpc) for the horns. I have always had the usual complaint of the RF-7 being too bright and just kinda got used to it using the treble to control it best I could.

Upon the initial audition, I could tell there was some improvement. Not until some different genres were played at pounding levels have I really come to appreciate the upgrade. Wow, the ear bleeding brightness is gone. It is almost as if I have replaced my entire system. The 7's now have a much warmer and soothing tone to them. All the detail is there as before but it just seems so much cleaner. The entire listening experience has impoved greatly with this change.

If anyone out there with a RF-7 brightness issue, bi-aming has greatly improved mine. I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully some others may benefit as well.

Keep on Rockin'

Glad to hear the good news. Are you using an electronic x-over or are you passive bi-amping?

Hi SWL, I am not sure which I am using. The Rotel is connected to the HF and Yamaha to LF. I am not sure about x-over other than what is stock internal to the RF-7. The jumpers have been removed between the two.

You're passive bi-amping. I do the same with my KLF-30's and also did it with my RF-7's (when I had them).

Many will tell you that you're not really bi-amping because it's not "active". Well, the results are undeniable and it's cool that at any time you can change your amps on the highs or the lows to get a different flavor. As long as you've got gain controls you can blend the two perfectly.

Just wait til you put some tubes on the highs......you're gonna dig it. [Y]

Hey Matt, always good to see you!

Hey there Dennie, thanks. Good to be here today. I love the Marantz. Dont actully have any SACD's though. I have been thinking about getting a couple to see how they sound.

Keep on Rockin' Brother

Hey Matt, don't forget, your receiver/pre amp has to have 5.1 analog inputs to use the SACD feature.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. It is one nice piece of gear!! [Y]

You know I'm still Rockin'! [<:o)]

I'm glad to see you enjoying your system(s)!

Dennie

don't forget, your receiver/pre amp has to have 5.1 analog inputs to use the SACD feature.

OH! [^o)] Thanks Dennie, I did not know this. So, an SACD will not have a noticeable sound improvement over lets say a digitally re-mastered CD? I am running strictly 2-channel.

I'm glad to see you enjoying your system(s)!

I actully just sold "SYSTEM II" to a "friend" of mine this afternoon. The whole 2-channel set-up with all connects/wires, $800. He is pretty excited.

Hi again all,

I am curious, after getting a little more used to the new set up, it seems like the drivers are even hitting harder than they did before. Is this just my imagination or has seperating the the horns allowed for more clean power to be delivered to the drivers. I am still simply amazed at the improvement this change has made.

Keep on Rockin'

Guest davidness

Just wait til you put some tubes on the highs......you're gonna dig it.

I have RF-7's with updated crossovers.

I passive "bi-amp" my RF-7's using my Bob Latino ST-120 (Dynaco ST-70 variant) tube amp on the HF.

I have 2 channels of my Emotiva XPA-5 on the LF.

No complaints. I love the sound. It just seems wasteful using the tube amp for just the two HF horns.

The solid-state XPA-5 does improve the LF response though over running both HF & LF off the ST-120 tube amp.

It just seems wasteful using the tube amp for just the two HF horns

On the RF-7's that I had and the KLF-30's that I have now I have tried various amps on the HF's (vintage receivers, pro-amps, consumer solid state and tubes). The tubes were by far the sweetest sounding......at least with the amps I was experimenting with. Again, I'm aware that this is not "real" bi-amping but the results are well worth it.

The best sounding RF-7's I've heard were modded with the DeanG x-over with tubes on the highs and some beefy ss on the woofs in a passive bi-amp configuration. Silky smooth highs.......just what those RF-7's needed. [Y]

The RF-7's were great speakers. The harsh highs were their downfall. I loved their bass.

The KLF-30's are smooth and refined. I was surprised at how delicate they can sound. My first experience with a three-way horn speaker and the midrange is magical with tubes. On the other hand.....feed them with some powerful, not so clean amps and they will kick your *** all over the place. Rock and roll speaker all the way. [Y]

If I had to choose, I'd definately go with the 30's. However, if they come out with a three-way RF-7 with dual 15" drivers I'll be the first in line. [:D]