Cornwall Questions

TPD

Howdy all,

First off let me start by saying Thanks! for all the extremely useful info that Ive gotten from reading posts on this site. Ive really learned a lot.

This past weekend I happened on a garage sale where I bought a pair of Cornwalls. I thought that they were a bit big, but perhaps I would just pull the speakers out and make use of them and ditch the cabs. (Not to worry, I now realize exactly how sinful that would be!!!!)

Anyhow, I now realize what a great find Ive made.

The details and questions are as follows

Serial Numbers: 6N074 and 6N075

RB (what does this mean? I think it is something to do with the finish)

They seem to be in good order, however the cabinets are a bit worn. (i.e. veneer chipping on the front, some water marks on the stain, scratches, etc.)

Id like to sell them to a good home, but Im not sure if I should do any of the restoration work myself, or if I should just let the buyer do it. How much of a price difference would I see between the before and after? Would a potential buyer rather do the work himself? (I dont want to devalue them accidentally.)

I can post pictures later if someone is interested.

I live in the Dallas area.

Thanks!

-TPD

p.s. I was unable to download the before and after pics of Chris Rs restoration project. If you could repost them here it would be much appreciated.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello TPD and welcome to the BB!

What a great find you have there! The "N" in the serial # denotes 1975 and the "RB" is Raw Birch.

The size of the Cornwall cabinet is critical to it's sound, I wouldn't try putting the (woofer especially) in a smaller cabinet.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable address the re-finishing question.

It would certainly help if you posted some photos of the speakers too.

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connects

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

TPD - Welcome! I too found a decent deal on some CW-BR's. The finish was not poor, but not stellar either. The 'BR' refers to 'Birch - Raw' (unfinished). Usually, these have been stained and finished by one of the previous owners. Such was the case with mine. They were varnished, and the veneer/varnish had started to peel. The rest of my Klipsch ensemble was oiled walnut so I stripped the varnish, restained and replacecd the grillecloth to match my existing walnut motiff. Increase the value? You be the judge! Here are a couple of before/after pics.

Yes, Chris has done a magnificant job restoring his BR Klipschorns. Much harder of a challenge than the CW's. More wood 'real estate' to strip/refurb.

------------------

Ed

Well ... I'll defer to Ed Rex for being the KING of Cornwall refinishing Smile.gif Really, all his efforts (check out his Belle) have been really TOP SHELF efforts.

I think you've got a very nice pair of Cornwalls that will come around pretty easily. Looks like the front butt-edge veneering is partly gone so you can replace that. Just pick up some pre-glued white birch veneer (3/4" or so). Check my threads on the Khorns. Same deal applies. See attached photos.

Would definitely take those down to raw wood again, sand, PRE-CONDITION (super-important), stain and seal (either oil or poly). An oil finish is basically boiled linseed oil and stain (check threads on that one). Wood is wood. It cleans right up with a little TLC. A BTW, the Khorn project wasn't hard; it was just time intensive.

Be sure to take pix as you go and post 'em . We'll be cheering you on; can get a little lonesome and scary in the middle as you do your first project Smile.gif

TPD,

It looks like you stumbled onto a nice pair of CW's that with the proper care will serve you well. I think you should listem to them carefully before you consider selling them. Than you will get the bug to refurbish them. If your not that handy at woodworking there are plenty of cabinet shops in the Dallas area that you could get to do the work.

However, if you want real satisfaction try doing the restoration work yourself. With the expertise on this BB you won't be far from helpful advice.

Chris,

Beautiful job on the K's, I can tell you take pride in your work.

------------------

Jim

TPD- Nice shot of the label! Unfortunately, the handwritten "type" is not visible. Many times on these labels, the letters and numbers are a bit ambiguous, due to age (of speaker), writing style, etc.

My raw birch Cornwalls are labeled "type C-BR." I'm guessing yours, if they are raw birch designer series, say "CD-BR." The other thing that has me confused, is the lack of visible butt-joints, which, if I'm not mistaken, all raw birch Cornwalls of this period had.

Regardless, they are a great garage sale find. Pardon me, but I've got to ask...How much did you pay? Make us jealous!

fini

TDP,

After carefully looking at the pictures, I'm almost positive your speakers are walnut veneered cabinets (type CWO - Cornwall, walnut, oil finish). That walnut veneer can easily be brought back to life with a little chemical stripper, light sanding, stain and oil. Walnut veneer strips can be bought to pretty easily fix the front edges. In a weekend, these speakers could be looking new with minimal expense.

I would not recommend removing the old veneer. Also be careful not to oversand it - ESPECIALLY near the edges. DO NOT seal the veneer before staining it, or consequently it will not take the stain and will retain much of it's dry, washed out look - not good.

Also, try looking very carefully at the rear labels on the "Type" line to see if you see the handwritten letters "CWO" - this should solve our mystery.

Regards,

Andy

TBD,

If you are interested in selling those as is please let me know how much and when your thinking about selling or trading for them. I have a set of 78 Heresy that I would consider trading with some cash on the side. Of course I would drive to Mckinney as I live on the northwest side of Houston. About a 3 hour drive. My email is steven.crowley@faa.gov

Thx,

Steve

I'll look around again for any other faint markings on the labels, but I don't think there are any. It appears that the only thing handwritten is the tester's name. The serial number and "RB" are actually stamped into the wood on the edge of the back of the speakers. It also has "USA" stamped on the edge too, but I figure that just indicates where it was made.

-TPD

p.s. Fini, I didn't want to gloat. Wink.gif I paid $50 for the pair. :D

That is the most awesome Cornwall score in history...Congratulations!

My '79 (marked "T") Corns have "USA" and the serial # stamped into the rear edges, but no stampings referring to the finish. Same with my '80 C-WO's. Can you get a shot of the stamped "RB"?

You may have already figured out that there is a certain mystique to Cornwall types. Like you and me...

fini

TPD,

As best as I can tell,the speakers in your pictures look identical to mine which are type "CWO" and purchased in 1976. I did notice the emblems missing from the grills. My emblems had becomed detached and needed to be resecured some 5 years after being purchased. I hope you enjoy them as must as I do mine.

Good luck!