Center Speaker for La Scala's

HOGFAN

I am in need of a center speaker for my set of LS's. I do not have room to add another LS. However, I was wondering if I could use just the top section of a LS (tweeter/midrange/crossover)? If so, I could make it work in my setup. Does the center speaker handle any lower frequencies that the midrange horn would not pick up? I appreciate your input and guidence on this.

Thanks!

Hogfan

The crossover point to the bass bin is 400 Hz, much too high for a subwoofer and beyond the bass management capabilities of receivers anyway. Find a split La Scala, use the top section in the center and the bass bin beside it.

Otherwise a Heresy II works ok, but not as great as another La Scala.

However, I was wondering if I could use just the top section of a LS (tweeter/midrange/crossover)? If so, I could make it work in my setup.

If you're going to consider that, I'd recommend a Heresy instead, since the top two drivers/horns are very similar to the LS.

I do not have room to add another LS.

Have you thought about a Belle or a vertical CW? They're only ~18 3/4" deep, where the LS is 24+.

Rationale: I've heard a lot of negative things about the Academy from different users here, and a few that are satisfied.

Does the center speaker handle any lower frequencies that the midrange horn would not pick up?

I think that the answer to this question is "yes". I'd recommend the best performing, most efficient, most full-range speaker that you can wedge in.

The vertical CW would go the lowest, while the Belle would have the cleanest, most efficient lf.

Chris

P.S. Note that I'm upgrading to Belles (both setups) for centers from bi-amped Heresy/P.Audio horn+K-69-A driver because of the lack of clean lf. I'll let you know the difference once I get them integrated into my setups.

P.S. Note that I'm upgrading to Belles (both setups) for centers from bi-amped Heresy/P.Audio horn+K-69-A driver because of the lack of clean lf.

Note that I have a bit of a problem using a Heresy in my setup because of the height of the Jub's K-402 horns sitting on the Jub bass bins and looking up to my TV screen above a fireplace: the Heresy's bass performance doesn't work very well up in the air on the fireplace masonry.

I was trying to get a center speaker whose hf drivers are closer to the rhumb line between the centerline of the K-402s. The Belle and the CW are equally good in this respect but I prefer the Belle's horn-loaded bass and it is very nice looking.

Chris

Klipsch Academy Klipsch Heresy IFREQUENCY RESPONSE 65Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB 50Hz-17kHz(+-)5dB POWER HANDLING 100 watts maximum continuous 105 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak) SENSITIVITY 96dB @ 1watt/1meter 96dB @ 1watt/1meter NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms 8 ohms HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 2,200 Hz TWEETER K-76-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver K-77-M 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn MIDRANGE K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver MID FREQUENCY HORN 80(o)x30(o) Exponential Horn WOOFER Two K-1011-KV 8" (20.32cm) Poly cone K-22 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) Birch Plywood or Veneered Lumbercore ENCLOSURE TYPE Sealed Sealed DIMENSIONS23.25" (59.06cm) x 11" (27.94cm) x 10" (25.4cm) 21.4" (54.36cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.2" (33.53cm) WEIGHT23 lbs. (14.95kg) 55 lbs. (24.97kg) FINISHES Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black Walnut, Rosewood, Teak Oil, Walnut, Oak, Cherry Lacquer, Raw, Black Birch BUILT FROM 19921957BUILT UNTIL 19941985