Old school Heritage, center and sub suggestions.

shelbygt

How would you go about building SPUDS behind the Khorns (assume you mean Klipschorns), which I'm using as my mains?

Actually, that comment was meant to imply that the SPUDs could simply be placed in the corners and the Klipschorns (Khorns) placed up against the SPUDs along the front wall.

The advantage of this arrangement is that the SPUDs and Khorns mutually benefit:

1) The Khorns benefit in being moved slightly out of their corner into the room in order to have "clear air" between the left and right speakers for superb imaging performance. The SPUDs act as one half of a false corner to close the gap between the Khorn and the front wall, and the SPUD cabinet very rigid (a good thing for the Khorn bass performance).

2) SPUD performance is significantly increased by being placed in the corner with the mouth of the SPUD next to the floor and the side walls - fully in the corner. The space between the Khorn and the SPUD forms a partial extension to the SPUD's horn length and gives you flat bass performance to a very low frequency (~17-18 Hz depending on the stiffness of the outside walls).

What is used as a source, is the signal to the Klipschorns split?

It's easiest to use a HT AV processor to provide a subwoofer output signal to the SPUDs (simply split the AVP's sub out signal to two or four amplifier channels - to power the two SPUDs). I find that this works also for 2-channel operation, but audiophile purists that want to use separate preamps for HT at two-channel operation could simply use an active crossover like a EV Dx38, DC-One, or other unit downstream of their preamps to provide full-time SPUD performance.It really makes a difference in both HT and two-channel operation with the Jubs in my room (see profile).

Chris

By 6.1 I'm guessng you're talking about using two La Scalas as center forward/rear with a sub?

Do they even make a place for a rear center? (I'm talking about in the electronics)

I'd suggest just keep it simple. Put together a 5.1 (or a 5.9 if you want a lot of subs [6]) and perhaps keep the extra LaScala for future 7.x use or use it as an outdoor movie night speaker, garage speaker or.... maybe let the wife put her plants on THAT speaker instead of the others! (so they don't get ruined).

Or you could sell it

Lots of great information. My amplifier is pretty versatile. I could go 6.1 I think. Will have to break out the manual.

I didn't realize the La Scala was effective against a wall as well as in a corner. That's good to know. I'll do a center front rear as my room is kind of long at 26' and in the meantime I'll search for another La Scala to go 7.1. You find these things in crazy places. One pair I have came out of a church of all places.

I'm going to check into SPUDS. I'm handy enough and poor enough to try anything! Sounds like folks here are happy with them. I could make a pair out of oak to match my Klipschorns and tuck them behind them.

Anyone out there have SPUD plans?

• Moderators

Do they even make a place for a rear center? (I'm talking about in the electronics)

I don't think they do anymore, but they did a few years ago, my Yamaha RX-V730 has a rear center channel and says 6.1. It's about 5 years old, still works fine but one button on the remote is VERY slow, the one to lower the volume, which is a pain.

• 5 weeks later...

Late to this thread ...

I have a pair of modified Klipschorns (ALK Universals plus V-Tracs) and a center Belle with Heresy surrounds. The Belle makes a very nice center, especially since it is shallow in depth and fits into 20" deep millwork very nicely. The front array integrates very seamlessly and is amazing with excellent source material.

I have a Danley DTS-20 also buried in millwork since the footprint (standing on end) is so small. The DTS-10 (two) looks like a killer setup although I have a hard time comprehending how much "thunder" those things must put out. The DTS-20,aka the Tower of Power, has half the power of a single DTS-10, and the presence of the TOP is scary. It literally loosens my bowels on occasion (probably too much information, but it's true).

Old School Heritage makes for wonderful home theater, just ask Indy or anybody else who's done it. The best of the best, in my opinion!

Chris