Patrician

Oregon Tubes

Well, I wondered myself if they should have have been worth more. But it sounds like he was aware and may have judged it wouldn't be worth an effort to try for more.

My brother just moved to Portland, btw, and he really likes the Forté's that he got (on my recommendation).

Klipsch rocks, and EV, too!

Well two things on this:

A. It is rare to hear a guy had a speaker so awesome he had to settle for a small K-horn when later trying to build a pair. Gotta love this

B. Do you think he would have been happy to let it go for $5000 or any amount? I am sure he is mad in letting it go more than the money it is worth. I think the best thing would be to take some pictures of it in it's new home, send them off and let him know it is being loved.

What kind of fun would it be if we paid fair market value for everything we find? No exitement in the hunt, no awesome garage stories sale or no sweet thrift store finds.

It could have ended up in much worse hands, nice "salvage" job!

Wow...thank you for the schemetics and info, very valuable. Which in your opinion would be a better pair, the Klipschorns or the Patricians. I have them hooked up to my system. The Patrician is 16ohm and I believe the Klipschorn is 8ohm, hope that doesn't hurt anything. He is an electronics whiz and had these hooked up to a nakamichi 410 pre-amp and 420 amp with a Sonic Ultramizer SSU9920 and Composer Pro XL. It just sounded so sweet, I almost want to go out and buy what he had to run them. I currently have all Pioneer Elite Gear, including the Pioneer Elite Pro800 Plasma.

Again, thank you

Hi Oregan Tubes!

A fine score indeed! Look for a vintage McIntosh amp like the MC250 or MC2100, etc.; these have autoformers on the output with taps for 4, 8 and 16 Ohms. They also have a left and right gain control. You can connect the Khorn to the 8 ohm tap and the Patrician to the 16 ohm tap and use the gain pots to adjust the levels.

McIntosh and Klipsch go very well together and I'm sure the EV is no different. I'm willing to bet it will easily best your present gear; no offense, as I have not heard any new Pioneer stuff. [H]

Rick

From Amy's post at http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/109285/1102299.aspx#1102299:

To post a single photo from your hard drive:

• Above the text box of your post, click the Options tab
  • Under File Attachment, click Add/Update
  • Click the browse button and find your file
  • Click Save (you may need to scroll to the right)
  • Click Post

To attach multiple photos that are uploaded to the internet:

• Click the Insert Image button along the top of the text box of your post (looks like a little picture of a tree)
  • Put the URL (web address) of the image you want to post in the Image URL field.
  • Click Insert

For both methods, you’ll want to make sure your pictures are of a manageable size. I’d say no bigger than 3x5 in.

Hey Tubes & Horns, thanks for the information. I would really like to set up with Mcintosh equipment and will start out with your suggestions. I had a friend back in the 70's that had all McIntosh and a subwoofer the size of a standing jukebox and two really thin speakers that were almost to the ceiling, which I believe were ribbons of some sort, it all blew me away. He had to put bars on every window and door to keep his stuff in his house.

Those speakers (line arrays) were probably McIntosh also. Check this out: http://www.roger-russell.com/xrt20.htm

Another suggestion; most of the vintage tube amps had multiple taps on the output transformer so don't limit your search to just McIntosh SS. Maybe others will chime in but a couple I have experience with are Scott and Stromgerg-Carlson. You may contact Craig (NOSvalves) on this forum and see if he has anything coming off the bench. Also check your local Craigslist daily. I told you that Klipsch loves McIntosh? Well, Klipsch Heritage really loves tubes!

Rick

• 3 months later...

So cherish forever must mean 4 months? I am sure you have legitimate reasons for putting your stuff up on Ebay, but man... that was really quick.

You should at least put the equipment up in the garage sale portion here or in the Alert section if you just want to only sell on eBay.

Not sure of the market on a single 1977 designer (ugly) khorn... but your EV Patrician should do very well.

Good Luck!

He ripped off the original seller and now he wants to rip off a buyer. I'm sure if he reads this he will ha e some lame reason. But I remember reading this in December and thinking what a d**k bragging about ripping off a 90 year old man and then going on offense when Tom called him out. karma can be a *****.

Josh