horns reproduce higher frequencies than ribbons?

I've heard that when some of the 192khz 24 bit dsd (or other non-pcm recorded material) starts comming out, many of the higher frequencies will be too high for a ribbon tweeter to reproduce. And that a horn tweeter will be able to reproduce these high frequencies without breaking a sweat. Can anyone tell me if what I've heard has any truth to it?

I think a good question here is how high your hearing will go (said politely). Horn designs determine how high they will go in frequency. They can be designed to far exceed the hearing of a dog. Every design has a suitable application, i.e. human hearing.

Warmest regards,

Andy

It is my understanding that the primary reason for extending the bandwidth on digital recorded material is to avoid an abrupt roll-off that came with filtering a 44.1 KHz bandwidth. Going to 96KHz provides extended bandwidth to allow for filtering that doesn't abruptly cut off frequancies in the audable range. Im not sure what an extension to 192 is supposed to accomplish. 24 bits, of course, will provide a lot more data to include more ambiance and a closer approximation to analog. Anyone?

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

I suppose the higher sampling rate is going to effect a lot of things including filter design and quantization noise.

But as mentioned, we can hear only so far up. I used to be able to hear raster frequency on a crt and ultrasonic motion detectors, but no more.

A good question is whether recordings are going to contain any signal above, say 17 kHz. Do the studio microphones go well above that?

Gil

When I was a high school junior I could hear up to about 24khz (assuming the test equipment we had was calibrated correctly). I'm sure I can no longer hear 20Khz, but I can hear the difference between how my different speakers handle very high frequencies.

(The Heresy can't touch the super high notes, but is fuller sounding through most music's higher frequencies. The RP3 tweeterhorn can reproduce extremely high frequencies, but is definitely running out of steam at that range. The B&W 602 tweeter is silky smooth throughout all the frequencies that I can hear)

The theory I heard was similar to what Soundog heard. I only want to add that some theories potend that people can subconciously "hear" even higher frequencies. Anyone done any research on Psychoacoustics?

Floyd E. Toole, Ph.D. is recognized as THE leader in the field by his peers. Dr. Toole did decades of research on acoustics and psychoacoustics for the Canadian government before accepting a V.P. post with Harmon Industries covering speaker design in subsidiary companies.

He has written many papers and writes in a style that is easier to comprehend than many of his peers. Despite now working for a competitor, BobG (Klipsch) and TomV (SVS) have both pointed me toward Dr. Toole in my own acoustics research. Search the web for Toole + acoustics or psychoacoustics and you should hit the mother load! cwm32.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd