Separate Amp for RF-7 II system

streyle

I just changed over from my Cornwall system to a RF-7 II system and now I'm looking at going to a separate amp. I'm currently using an HK-254 which I'll continue to use as a pre/pro. I've been looking at the Emotiva UPA-5 and XPA-5. I've also started to look around at Outlaw amps as well. Looking so spend less than 1K....I'd also consider used. Any other models I should be looking at?

• Moderators

I just changed over from my Cornwall system to a RF-7 II system

I don't see that happen too often. We usually hear from the heritage guys that have switched from Reference to Heritage. Just curious what your thoughts are on the differences between your Corns and the 7's.

I was looking at Emotiva XPA-5 but ended up buying a Parasound 220 x 5 for $750. It's a beast of an amp. I love it and would highly recommend Parasound for your consideration.

I am very fond of B&K amps and there are some pretty good deals out there for used ones. Here is a link to one that will have no trouble at all helping you obtain your goal.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1294519560&/B-K-Reference-7250-Series-II-2

Acurus also.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1296399354&/Acurus-200x3-w/-pics-c-my-othe

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1296545233&/Acurus-A250-

Bill

I used to have RF-35 HT setup (I really wanted the RF-7s and couldn't afford them that early out of school), switched to Cornwalls since I was listening to more music, but had always wanted to go back to the RF-7s.

After about a week with the RF-7 II/RC-64II, I really like this setup much better for HT purposes. I don't think the lowend sounds as good as the Cornwalls, but I'll rely on my SVS sub for that. Really not regretting the decision at all. Once I get a larger house, I'll probably pickup a pair of Cornwalls again for a dedicated stereo system.

I'll have to go research Parasound as well....I'm thinking used might offer the best value

• Moderators

After about a week with the RF-7 II/RC-64II, I really like this setup much better for HT purposes. I don't think the lowend sounds as good as the Cornwalls, but I'll rely on my SVS sub for that.

I too love my RF-83's for HT, 2ch is ok but probably a lot of that is lack of acoustic treatments in my room. The 3 way heritage probably helps improve 2 ch listening.

I'll have to go research Parasound as well....I'm thinking used might offer the best value

9 times out of 10, used will definitely offer a better value. Lots of great options out there.

The XPA-5 is a great amp, I would really recommend you go with the XPA and not the UPA if you go Emotiva as I think that the RF-7 ll will really benefit from the added power.

Also remember that if you buy the Emotiva it has a 5 year warranty and if you can find a good deal on a used Emotiva the 5 year warranty is transferable.

The current sale from Emotiva on the XPA-5 is $709 with free shipping.

Yeah, I've been checking for B Stock for Outlaw, but they don't have the 5 X 200 I want....I'll keep checking there, but I think it's down to either Outlaw or Emotiva. I've heard some issues in build quality on Emotiva, so that's why I'm hesitant

I'm running a pair of Outlaw M2200 monos thru my Classic RF-7s and I am very impressed with the sound - not too bright - not laid back - just right. They can be had thru Amazon (ships directly from Outlaw) for $325 plus S/H. Or, check Audiogon - I see them there all the time. One feature I like is that you don't need to use a trigger - they will sense the audio signal just like a powered sub and kick on and go into standby a few minutes after there is no signal.

I had RF-7s about 5 years ago running directly off a Yamaha RX-V3300 and they were so bright and harsh for music - but great for HT. I never tried a seperate power amp with those - that would have cured the issue.

The M2200 is only about 2" tall with a single light on the front for on/standby - the rocker swirtch is on the back and they also havle balanced inputs if that's something you desire. Excellent bang for the buck