LaSCALA crossover updates?

crusso

I have a pair of LaScalas that i got in1985 with AL crossovers, they havent been used very much in the last 20 years. I would like to start useing them again.I have been told after 20 years the crossovers need to rebuilt? Do i need to change out the AL crossovers and if so with what? I have looked in to useing ALK crossovers or going with Bob Crites AL-3 crossovers or with Crites A/4500 crossovers with CT-125 tweeters. I dont know much about crossovers and would like to get some feedback of what i should do. Should i replace the crossovers and if so with is the best way to go? Is there anything else i need to change out with a pair of speakers that are this old?

If you are willing to pay for the Crites tweeters I am really happy with his A/4500 network in my K-horns. I have his A network in my La Scalas and plan on the further upgrade next year to the A/4500. Used networks (at least the AAs I have sold) to quite well on ebay. Both of mine have gone to Europe and pretty well paid for the new ones.

I have a pair of LaScalas that i got in1985 with AL crossovers, they havent been used very much in the last 20 years. I would like to start useing them again.I have been told after 20 years the crossovers need to rebuilt? Do i need to change out the AL crossovers and if so with what? I have looked in to useing ALK crossovers or going with Bob Crites AL-3 crossovers or with Crites A/4500 crossovers with CT-125 tweeters. I dont know much about crossovers and would like to get some feedback of what i should do. Should i replace the crossovers and if so with is the best way to go? Is there anything else i need to change out with a pair of speakers that are this old?

There is a nice pair of ALK Universals on Ebay also I would consider the ALK Jrs.

Welcome. I am afraid you are not going to get alot of comments asking a question like this in an open forum because ALK and Bob Crites are both respected forum members and both offer nice products. However my preference for the Lascala would be the ALK crossovers. My reccomendation is to go with the AP12-500 and AP15 6000. By going this route, if you decide to upgrade your Horns and or drivers you will have some flexibility.

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the help, i order a set of A/4500 off ebay and i also order a pair of crites tweeter from bob. I like the ALK crossover, but it was alittle to much at this point. i have not put them in yet. An tips on installing them? Do you know what year your LaScalas were made? What type amp do you use with your LA Scalas?

i also order a pair of crites tweeter from bob. I like the ALK crossover, but it was alittle to much at this point. i have not put them in yet. An tips on installing them?

You'll want to install the tweeters when you get them, rather than waiting for any crossover parts, simply because it's best to do one change at a time, so you can tell what difference it made. Changing several items at the same time may be fun, but you won't know what's doing what to the sound.

As for installing tips, if the CT125s' larger bodies touch the the La Scalas' lids/top covers, you may need to remove a little wood for clearance. With my 1974 La Scalas, removing 1/4" was plenty and was no problem, since the cabinet lids are 3/4" thick. The improvement in sound with the new tweeters was well worth the effort.