Just want to dance!

Fwiler

Hello all-

My girlfriend and I have a 15x 25ft area in the basement that we want to set up for listening to music and movies.

Currently I have a Yamaha v663, Energy Classic 5.1, SVS 10" sub.

This is just ok for movies, but for listening to music, its terrible.

80% will be listening to music.

When we listen to music, we dance around quite a bit, so I would like some recommendations for an upgrade keeping the receiver and sub.

Budget is limited. What I have found is some WF-34's and WC-24 speakers at Vann's that fit the budget.

Comparing to rc 52's which can be found around same price.

What I have read is that the WF's aren't as localized as some other Klipsch speakers which would be good if we are moving around a lot.

But I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.

Sorry this is all on one line. I'm not sure how to edit with returns.

are you looking to redo the whole system or just a 2 channel setup? Your receiver has a zone 2 option which is something you could use to run a seperate stereo option. If you just buy 2 klipsch speakers and replace your left and right take 5 speakers, the timbre wont match most likely and wont sound correct. The Icon W series is great, they really do sound fantastic, i think that you can get a pair of wf-34's for 500 a pair on vann's which is a good price. Paying like 1400 a pair is rediculous for them and youd be better of buying the reference series. The wf-35's would be better for you and are onl a bit more. I would look into the reference line as well.

just clarify what you are looking for exactly, basically what i talked about above and what your budget is.

I would get the matching center so we can also watch movies. I would just use the energy's for rears for the time being.

The reason for new speakers, the Energy's just don't put out enough for the room and they seem very directional.

Once we have a few drinks and start dancing, we seem to think we can sing too. So we need something that can overcome our bad singing :)

Budget is around the $200-$250 a piece mark, so $600-700 total. The only thing that worries me about the WF-34's is there are a lot of them in the clearance section.

Which usually means customer returns, which usually means people didn't like them. Maybe I'm wrong. I would love to hear more positive reviews on them.

I don't have a chance to audition them, which is a problem. I was going to get the Polk TSi400 or R70's. I did get to listen to the TSi400's and I did like them, but it was in a very large room so its hard to really tell. And perhaps I like the cherry finish on them. (I know that shouldn't make a difference, but I would prefer a Porsche that only does 100mph than a Gremlin that could do 200.)

i have seen brand new 34's for half the price of what the msrp is in ultimate electronics. Personally, i feel their price at half msrp is justified for what you are getting. What i will say is that try and buy the center and left rights together if you are buying new and dont plan to look for used. I mean, the line should be good for the next year or 2 if you buy reference so you could have time to save for a center and get it later on. I want to say that you will have higher output and better sound if you went with the reference and wouldnt second guess yourself making that decision. I have been quite happy with my rf-3 ii's and can say it has pretty good off axis sound.

I have a set of RF-62s (new for $275.00 each) which are great, but I just purchased a set of WF-35s and I actually prefer the sound of the Icons. I would have gone with the reference series, but I was able to pick up the WF-35s for $800.00 dollars off retail (new for $300.00 each). They're really great speakers, and I am happy to have them, but I would have preferred the RF-82s if I had the scratch. I was actually much more underwhelmed with the 34s when I listened to them, but the 35s are a welcome upgrade to my RF-62s (haven't heard the 62 IIs).

Next for me will be the RF-7s, RF-83s, or equivalent when I'm ready to buy. The low end bass will be the worry for the WF-34s, espescially with such a large room.

Another thought can be looking on the used market for a pair of Fortes or Chorus I or II's, they will most definetly fill your room for listening to music and dancing. Then look for a center, such as a KLF-C7, Academy or even a single Heresy speaker. I have Chorus I's for front and will switch to two channel for listening to music, they sound awsome.

good luck

~ross