RF 83

DANGERDAN

Hey well i got to go and listen to the rf 83's the other day but i was disapointed by its performance when i did, there was no base there was no clearity and when they switched between the 83 and the f20's they sounded exactly the same.

So i came to a conclusion that they were not powered properly because a couple weeks before this i was listening to the RF 62's and i really liked the sound that came from them so my question is were they underpowered ? and if i liked the rf 62's should i really like the 83's ?

I have a position to buy them this thursday really cheap and so im making the last push for information :).

Thanks.

ps the 83's were powered by rx797 yamaha.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i implore you to find out how they were hookedup. The 83's should have quite the bass foundation. If the receiver was set to small or if the crossover was set higher, that could eliminate alot of the bass. The 83's really need a solid power hookup, a seperate amp would probably be best.

Well, I've not heard the speakers you mention. But, I've heard (read) people talk about them and Lack of Bass and Muddiness are not normally mentioned.

The room is a big factor and a Yamaha Receiver may not of been the best to Demo these fine speakers. Do you have the option of taking them home to demo them? Can you go to a different "Dealer" to listen to them in a different room?

May make a big difference.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum and we're glad you're here.

Please keep us posted.

Dennie

As this is a discontinued product there is very limited availability, in any direction 5 hours out theres only one available in harvey norman which i can get at non profit price floor sale and the other is a unsued 2nd hand set which i can get a thousand dollars cheaper which is a steal.

No chance for a demo i will have to research from what i know and take a risk xD.

The yamaha is obviously underpowered for them. It should still run them in stereo mode without a subwoofer to decent levels with decent bass. Do the speakers look obused? Turn them up to safe levels and put your ear in front of tweeters and drivers. As long as you do not hear any problems take them home. I would imagine if the speakers have been badly overdriven they not only would have less bass but would have less clarity. hmm might be a little suspicious as that yamaha could have potential to damage the speakers (i would be able to use the two togethor) but i guess they are not set up to their potential.

They may have well been but cant be sure, from what i can tell they may have been in the store for quite a long time years at my guess, but the 2nd hand pair im looking at have never been used so that might be the better choice :).

Please if theres any more info people can give me i would much appreciate it, so far you help has been awsome and thank you.

My RF-63's have plenty of bass. The RF-83's have more. When I had just my 100w/ch Onkyo TX-SR705 hooked up to my 63's, they sounded good. Added a 200w/ch B&K amp to the equation and out came a whole new beast. Punchy, detailed and smooth. A pair of RF-83's are all that and then some.

Bill

one last question do these speakers need to be loud to get the full quality from them

I think they are very detailed at low to medium levels with the right amplification. With just a mid level receiver, I would have to say only so so. Add a little more juice and the show only gets better.[li]

Bill

Thanks you have been terrific, i will let you guys know how things go on thursday :), oh btw this is temporary but i will be using a sony amp 185 watts x 7 ch @ 6ohm 1% THD 28 hz to 20khz frequency range.

Im fairly certain this will run it enough until i can get a decent psu, oh also is warranty a issue ? if i buy new i get the 5 years but i only got 3 years with 2nd hand pair (yes i have read the terms and conditions and understand the resell terms).

oh also is warranty a issue ? if i buy new i get the 5 years but i only got 3 years with 2nd hand pair (yes i have read the terms and conditions and understand the resell terms).

When you speak of "2nd hand", do you mean 2nd owner(used) or from a commercial reseller with their own in house warranty. Either way, buying used or from a non authorized reseller, voids the Klipsch Factory Warranty.

Bill

When I brought my CFs home I was initially a bit disappointed with their sound. Turns out, it was 100% crappy HT receiver driven. When I gave up on the 300 page owners manual and dragged out some old vintage stuff, I had a smile from ear to ear.

Methinks you'll find plenty of base and bass with those mothers.

the rf-83's are one of the top of the line reference from klipsch, quality is something you need not fret over. Like the other people have said, make sure you inspect the veneer as well as each driver to make sure that its working properly. Make sure to test at all volume levels if you can. For the most part, you can inspect the drivers visibly and see if there is anything wrong with them. That leaves the xover and internal wiring to be at fault if any issue at all. Good news is that klipsch stocks parts for speakers from years ago. They still have stuff in stock for '67 models. All in all, it sounds to me like an awesome deal that you should hop on.

I understand the warranty void terms but should warranty be something i should worry about ? is it worth getting

If the speakers you are considering are in good shape and sound fine and have a great price, I would not worry about a warranty.

Bill

Cool thanks Bill, using paypal conversion i will be paying for practically unused pair of RF 83's with high performance cables included for $1900 (pair), $2650 at wholesale price which i can get from harvey norman but usually they are $4900 retail price (US).

Whats the usual pricing in US ?, nz products are already usually high because of gst transporting and whatever other cost's that makes our imports more expensive than US.

PS. i may have to purchase and pickup tomorrow due to another person interested in the same speakers i am looking at.