RF 83

DANGERDAN

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be the power, and it could be the settings,

Same thing with the RF-7's when it comes to having the speaker settings on the Receiver on Normal or Small. Set it to large like these speakers are. And they do breath easy and have amazing tight bass with more power.

Many sites will tell you to set the fronts to small and let the sub do the work, and the fronts can "concentrate" on the mids and highs, that might be true with a lot of speakers, but not these two. They were built to do both quite fine. Setting for small or normal for 5.1 Cinema is OK but for stereo and even 2.1 there is nothing like those woofer cones pushing all that sound on you. 2 x 10 on the 7 and 3 x 8 on the 83's.

On anything but large on my RF 7's sound good, but on large they sound AND feel live.

It could be the power, and it could be the settings,

Same thing with the RF-7's when it comes to having the speaker settings on the Receiver on Normal or Small. Set it to large like these speakers are. And they do breath easy and have amazing tight bass with more power...

I would agree if you are sending the lower end to a Sub 12, but given I have an RSW-15 and RSW 12 taking up the low end I prefer to send everything below 60 Hz to my subs.

Well i went and got them, just in time too as they were almost gone if i didnt show up today they would be. In perfect condition no marks scratches i would say its in better condition than the one in harvey norman, the drive up was interesting having to take a big horse truck to carry them in xD.

I sat in the back of the truck making sure nothing happend and secretly having sex with them "looks away", got home hooked them up and....

They are Ok, better than they played in harvey norman and they dont clip or distort at all when cranking up the volumes which was good to know but i think i may need to get a much better amp to get these babys cracking the mids and lows better. My decision still stands as the best i will not be those who cry because it dont sound awsome with their crappy amp, il be ohnest the amp used is one of those cheapo's that comes with sony's 7.2 htddw7500 system so i expected it.

So the verdict my amp is powerfull enough in terms of watts but the amp isnt powerfull enough to hit the mids or lows and it took me about 20 mins to get used to the high frequency output but after a couple hours i do not feel like whats called "ear bleeding".

Thanks guys you have been awomse, Thanks bill, thanks Klipsch :)

Yea il get some pic's up this week, i just haven't got any satisfaction
out of them but i assure myself from all the research that i have done
that i have made a future investment.

Looking for amp in the future i have a guy that can get me wholesale on
some rotel amps and iv heard good things with them and klipsch.

Judging from my marantz 80 watt amp (sr4320) it provides a totally
different and better sound yet the sony has more in terms of watts, so
im just trying to get my head around this factor.

The marantz has ok sound but both amps don't provide anywhere near the
low levels of sub frequency's i was wanting so im thinking when it
starts to hit the lower frequency's and the impedience drops that there
is not enough stable power being supplied.

EDIT
Here's a example

This guy has a pair of 82's which are probably easier to drive but on this song he can get his drivers to go nuts moving the driver to create heavy bass, with me on that song with either amp myn hardly move on full volume and with bass output on +10.

Just a thought.

Oh one last and important thing, my marantz stereo amp has a a/b speaker setup would i be able to bridge (bi amp) my speakers so that i can provide twice the power to each speaker ??.

Hey Dan, your last question first, NO!

Rotel and Klipsch have got great reviews. I think that may be a great option. Find yourself a good 2 channel amp or a good integrated amp of 85 (Real) watts or higher. That should get those woofers moving.

Remember, placement can make a big difference also. Maybe move them more towards the corners of the room. I am just guessing, as I don't have a clue how you have them set up.

Now, Pictures?

We're waiting!

Dennie

They may have well been but cant be sure, from what i can tell they may have been in the store for quite a long time years at my guess, but the 2nd hand pair im looking at have never been used so that might be the better choice :).

here in our stores the usual sales guys demoing the speakers, know too little about how to drive speakers . they have little info . heck no idea what distortion is and how amps matter,when it comes to watts . they read the back of the amplifier/receiver and see the watts mentioned there and just tell us. they dont know which is better , a bigger amp or a smaller amp..

UMMV

so all sort of guys play speakers in their shops for demoes and they do damage a couple of sets a month .

i went to this shop the other day where they had opened up an RF7s horn . it was not making a sound . network ,they thought, no , it was blown . the amps they used were 70 watts yamaha dts amps. and they usually raise the volume high up to satisfy the customers .

the next time i visited after 10 days i guess, , i couldnt tell difference , the same RF7 was in demo , he had it repaired . and was up for display.

to my ears it was ok . to my heart it wasnt [:P]

I had a HK stereo receiver setup to my rf-83 and then I decided to do 7.1 and brought a used denon 3805 which "had" the same wattage. It lacked bass. It was mentioned that near 38 hertz or so (Klipsch Engineers please correct me if I am wrong) the ohm impedience dips down to 2.8 so a lot of multi channel receivers cannot handle the load sufficently and thus the lack of bass. I had to purchase a Crown XTI 1000 and hooked it up to the denon and like magic, bass was back and I had to actually turn it a bit down from 0.

Congrats on the speakers.

I have had my RF-83's for the better part of 2 years, you made a good purchase that should provide years of enjoyment. From my experience, the RF-83 has never been a bass-heavy speaker. 8" woofers just don't move enough air. If you are really needing bass, I would certainly get a good sub to pair with them before getting a separate amp. And don't take that wrong, a amp is certainly a worthy investment for the RF-83's (they love power), I just don't think you'll get the bass you are looking for.

Also, they work best for me as far apart as you can get them in the corners and with the cross-over set around 60 hz on the receiver.

Congrats on the speakers.

I have had my RF-83's for the better part of 2 years, you made a good purchase that should provide years of enjoyment. From my experience, the RF-83 has never been a bass-heavy speaker. 8" woofers just don't move enough air. If you are really needing bass, I would certainly get a good sub to pair with them before getting a separate amp. And don't take that wrong, a amp is certainly a worthy investment for the RF-83's (they love power), I just don't think you'll get the bass you are looking for.

Also, they work best for me as far apart as you can get them in the corners and with the cross-over set around 60 hz on the receiver.

I went from RSW-12 to amp to custom made TC Sounds LMS 5400