Adding a second sub (5.1 set up) with RT-12D

Hoenig

I have the opportunity to buy a decent sub at a awesome price. I was offered a Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500 for only $200 today. I am extremely satisfied with my current set up. It is definately LOUD enough. Although, I guess I love bass because I cannot seem to get enough. Anyways, I was thinking of running this sub off the RT-12D (output). Is that acceptable? Would it hurt more than help? I have read that putting a different size sub (15 vs 12) may not sound well. My room is 26 feet long and with the RT placed in the back corner I feel like another sub up front may help "fill" the room. Right now, as you walk back towards the back of my basement the bass increases sunstantially. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

My old Def. Tech. sub was the worst sub I ever owned. It was a one-note boom box. It will not be an upgrade to what you currently have. Plus, it is very difficult to mesh two completely different subwoofers within the same room and same setup.

From my experience, mix-matching subs is a bad idea.

I started out with a Klipsch KSW-200 and added a Velodyne SPL-1200R for a decent price, the sound was so uneven and goofy that I dropped the KSW-200 altogether and used the SPL-1200R exclusively. I then moved and the SPL-1200R wasn't big enough for my room, so I bit the bullet and bought a JL f113, now the JL totally out-plays the Velodyne and I desperately want another JL f113 to balance the system out again. For all the playing around, tweeking, adjusting and swapping equipment, knowing what I know now, I would just plan on buying two of the same subs just like your main R/L speakers from here on out. Of course, if you are really getting a smoking deal on a piece of equipment, you may as well buy it and re-sell it at a later date when you want to upgrade. As far as running the extra sub off the output of the first, I have always spit the signal off the receiver.

Well, I sure do not have the money to buy another RT-12D. I thought I could sneak a $200 sub in my basement with my wife not killing me. Sounds like it is not worth the trouble. I sure do not want another speaker or sub laying around the house as this tends to start arguments.......

I will stick with the one sub in the back left corner and deal with it. My basement is only 16 feet wide but 26 feet long. It is hard to feel the bass up in the front right corner. Just wish there was a cheaper solution.

I tried to move the sub to the middle outside wall (half way/middle of room). I sounded awesome from "my chair" although I lost a lot of the room filling bass. It seems like the RT model really loves the corner. The bass sounded more accurate moved up but I lost a ton of bottom end. I moved it back in the corner and felt it sounded better (especially music) as it had a much deeper (feel it in your pants) type of sound. I am just realizing I am a bass junkie I guess.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I don't think it is possible to get enough clean, loud, solid, tight bass. Eventually, I would love to get 4 subs. But it really isn't an option now because there is absolutely no way to accommodate 4 subs in my current room. Keep an eye on Audiogon for a good deal and save those pennys!

• 6 months later...

Thoughts on adding a SVSound PB12-NSD?

I found one local for $200....should I get it? Thoughts on what it would sound like with my current RT12?

While I have never heard the SVS PB12-NSD, for $200.00, you really don't have much to lose. I recently added a Paradigm Servo 15a to my existing Klipsch RSW-10d and after much trial and error, the two different subs are integrated almost seamlessly. I have the RSW-10d handle the frequencies from about 24Hz to 80Hz while the Servo 15a is set to take care of the 18Hz to 45Hz region. I spent countless hours adjusting phase, crossover, and gain to get the sound just right. I have my RSW-10d up front with my RF-63's while my Servo 15a is about 4 feet up the left side wall from my front wall. Getting the phase of the Servo 15a just right was the most difficult adjustment to make.

I would suggest if you do get the SVS, try setting it up like my Paradigm(mostly HT duty) and let your Klipsch(probably the more musical sub) handle the mid 20Hz up to where you want your Fortes to take over. Make sure if one of the subs is not placed on the same plane as your Fortes, you adjust the phase accordingly. Your values and settings will probably be a bit different but keep playing with them until you get it just right.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the SVS PB12-NSD. My first thoughts are WOW.

You would think the RT-12D would blow this thing out of the water ($2,500 vs $800 MSRP). Well, to me, they sound great together. I have the SVS running off the RT-12 (line out). They work well together. I can post a better, more thorough description if anyone cares......

The difference is that the Klispch RT-12D sounds good but that SVS sub FEELS good[:D]

My question is now how to hook up correctly. What I have done is ran a sub cable to my Klipsch. I use a "Y" splitter into the input of the Klipsch (heard it gave you a 6 db boost). I then ran another sub cable from my RT-12 "out" into the SVS (across the room). Sounds pretty damn good that way.

Although, should I be doing it different? "Sub out" split out of the reciever and run seperate cable independent to each sub?

Thoughts/Ideas?

My question is now how to hook up correctly. What I have done is ran a sub cable to my Klipsch. I use a "Y" splitter into the input of the Klipsch (heard it gave you a 6 db boost). I then ran another sub cable from my RT-12 "out" into the SVS (across the room). Sounds pretty *** good that way.

Although, should I be doing it different? "Sub out" split out of the reciever and run seperate cable independent to each sub?

Thoughts/Ideas?

I am a bit fortunate, my NAD receiver has (2) sub preouts. Pretty simple hookup in my setup. I think the Y-splitter may boost about 1-2dB's.

I think the way you have it hooked up is fine but you may try to run RCA from subout to Y-splitter and the to each sub. Maybe let the Pioneer control your RT-12d and utilize the crossover in the SVS to control it. I have my 2-subs overlapping a bit and letting the Paradigm do what it does best, the low-lows.

Bill