Please help us select a projector

garyrc

We are considering buying a projector this spring ... we're looking for recommendations. Do any of you have and like a relatively inexpensive projector (1K to 3K or 4K ??) that will:

• Look about as good as a good LCD even though the image will be larger (perhaps 10 feet true width -- not diagonal) as seen from about 14 feet (we would try various image sizes first with a faux screen, then replace it with a Semore or similar acoustically transparent screen).
  • Hold its focus (i.e., not jiggle out of focus due to earth moving sound).
  • allow us to use a "constant height" format without an anamorphic lens attachment, by zooming. Naturally, it would have to hold its zoom position under the assualt of loud sound.
  • Be 2D, not 3D*

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• Moderators

I am using the Panasonic AE3000u and am very happy with it. It has the "Zoom Memory" to allow you to set presets for three different aspect ratios. I paid $2500 for mine new and I believe you can get the newer AE4000u cheaper than that.

I too have heard great things about the Epson projectors.

• Moderators

I believe you can get the newer AE4000u cheaper than that.

Projector People sells the AE4000u for $1999 with free shipping.

I bought my 3000u from Visual Apex since they had the same price but included an extra year warranty and a lamp replacement.

Looks like they have the same deal with the AE4000u and Free Shipping too. Visual Apex was great to deal with and I would definitely buy from them again.

Visual Apex Details for the Panasonic AE4000u

Rebate Offer
Free Extra Lamp! by mail-in rebate.
Purchase your PT-AE4000U from Visual Apex between January 1st, and March 31, 2011 and
receive a FREE Red-Rich Lamp $379 value! (br>The Free Lamp Rebate
will be available to consumers who complete and submit a PT-AE4000U Lamp
Rebate Claim Form.

** Only one rebate form is needed.

Rebate Offer
2nd year Limited Warranty Purchase your PT-AE4000U from Visual Apex between January 1st, and March 31, 2011
and receive a 2nd year or 2,000 hour extended warranty (whichever comes first, excluding lamp)
with the purchase of a PT-AE4000U home theater projector.
** Only one rebate form is needed.

The 2nd-year warranty will be available to consumers who complete and submit a
PT-AE4000U 2nd-Year Limited Warranty Claim Form.

bought an EPSON 8350 recently, for the price (under $1200) it is GREAT. very flexilble with placement

is my first FP and was way better PQ than I expected

if you can spend more, get the EPSON 8700 which there might still be a free lamp offer with it, should be around $2100 ish