Upgrading system, could use some help here.

FireWave

Hello, I currently have a 5.3 (yes 3 subs but hey, the more the merrier, right?) and Im thinking about upgrading to a 7.1 system. Id love to get the RF-7 II system but its just too much money. I was thinking about the RB-81 II system, If anyone here owns a pair or has head them It would be wonderful if you could give me some input. My budget is around 2400. I humbly ask for your assistance in choosing the right system.

Room Dimensions 12' L 12' W 9' H

Room Materials: Walls - Drywall/glass (windows) Floor - Laminate flooring Celling - Wood

In that 12x12 room a 5.1 system of the RB81 would be more than wonderful. Keep the Sub 12 and ditch the other 2.

Forget the 7.1 and use the money to get a nice multi channel amp = Emotiva.

That's what I would do.

If you want towers for the front, budget the next one up RF62, either way you'll hear a tremendous upgrade from your current. The RB speakers in the reference line are very impressive.

More suggestions. I know the new line is alluring, but give the used market a try. For $2400, you'll be able to find a great HT system with floorstanders, and have cash left over for other components (pre/pro, amp, etc.). This is a great deal in Florida. Just an example of what you may find if you're willing to wait. If the seller keeps good care of his gear you'll have a sweet system for less cash.

Are you planning on purchasing only speakers with $2400? Or is that for the whole system?

I would like to use the 2400 for speakers but then Id have none left over for a receiver. If I were to spend 2000 on speakers then I could have some left over for a decent receiver I was thinking about the Onkyo TX-SR608 mainly because of its flexibility to have front wides or front highs, and in the future if I do decide to go from 5.1 to 7.1 then all i have to do is purchase 2 extra speakers. I have been checking Ebay and Craigslist for some good deals as well.

With the RB-81 set-up you could easily upgrade to the 7.1 RF-82 system in the future (as your budget and space expand). Using a 12 X 12 room, the bookshelfs would seem the way to go. The Reference ii series is selling online at or very near retail (not a lot of deals I've seen out there). If you're looking for a bargain, there are plenty of Reference speakers on the used market and you could piece together a very nice system over time for about half the price. Try audiogon.com for an idea of what might be available. A third option would be the Icon-W series. These are selling brand new online at 60% discount. They have a fantastic asthetics and a very small foot print that would be friendly in your room. You can get Two WF-34 floor standing speakers, two WB-14 booksheves for the rear, and a WC-24 center all delivered for under $1000.00. Check out vanns.com for a bargain! I would compare the WF-34s to RF-52s as far as sound stage and dynamics, at least to my untrained ear.

Good luck!

The rb-81's compared to the rf-82's should sound exactly the same. The differences should be heard in the low frequency bass extension since obviously the 82's are like a third the size of its floorstanding brother. I would certainly push for the towers versus the bookshelfs for your front, i think it would help to increase your sound stage. My listening area is about 10x10 and im boasting towers and dont regret a single moment of that decision. It seems that you want to upgrade, i would wait and make sure you get exactly what you want otherwise you may experience buyers remorse. 12x12 could handle RF-7 II's and the center channel but i think it might just be a bit overkill. If space is a concern, the option would be for bookshelfs. I look at it as this. You are spending $800 minimum for fronts, $400 more to get the floorstanders isnt terrible.

Keep in mind when choosing your receiver, the more channels you are running, the less power each channel is going to get, despite what they say its rated at. Generally 1 channel and 2 channels are underrated but anything more than that you can start to see drop offs of 3-50 watts a channel depending on the brand you purchase. This isnt a fixed number but theres almost a garunteed drop off of power.

I bought used, and couldnt be happier. I actually just got back from buying a pair of pristine RS-3 II surrounds. All said and told i have paid $550 for my system without a subwoofer speaker wise. I was gifted my tv and my amp and processor barring that, i would be using a denon 1707 without HDMI and using it as a slave amp and that i got for free basically with another purchase that i sold and made money on. With my buying and selling of klipsch gear on craigslist, i probably only spent about $400 total on pristine condition RF-3 II home theater speakers. It took me months to build my system, sourcing the different components from seperate sellers on craigslist but it was worth the wait.

My motto for speakers: its better to wait and get what you want then to get what's at your fingertips to satisfy impulse

• Moderators

The rb-81's compared to the rf-82's should sound exactly the same.

Not necessarily. Towers typically have more presence and dynamics than bookshelf speakers. Physics are physics. That's one (of many) reasons why Blose cannot compete with Klipsch. Size does matter in the world of speakers. Part of the reason Khorns sound so darn good is the size (and design) of their cabinet.

The rb-81's compared to the rf-82's should sound exactly the same.

Not necessarily. Towers typically have more presence and dynamics than bookshelf speakers. Physics are physics. That's one (of many) reasons why Blose cannot compete with Klipsch. Size does matter in the world of speakers. Part of the reason Khorns sound so darn good is the size (and design) of their cabinet.

I didnt mean what i said in its most literal term. I more meant it to be a comparison like rb-61's vs rb-81's, they sound different, different presence, frequency range etc. And i agree with you, there is more presence and better dynamics but the core sound, i cant really describe it, sounds the same since its the same horn and woofer. That *uses hands to show what he means as he makes like a sphere to imitate the "thing" i am talking about* is what makes them sound almost the same barring what we just discussed :). No 2 speakers sound the same unless they are the same :)