Reference Center with Cornwalls?

smokarz

Since I've completed my movie/media room downstairs and moved my reference system in, my beloved Cornwalls have been sitting idle and I can't take it any longer.

I am seriously thinking of replacing the RF-3 fronts with the Corns, but a little concern with the RC-3II sitting between them. This of course is temporary until I could find another Corn, Heresey, Academy, or C7 to run the center channel.

So, have any one used a reference center with Heritage fronts? Any tip/tricks to make the front 3 play well together? Thanks

i have my rc-52 running as a center with a pr of CW 1's on either side, about 8' apart. i'm no audiophile, having just caught the "heritage bug," but i think they sound great together! and i have a pr of heresy II's as my surrounds. and hopefully adding a pr of heresy 1's as my rears shortly.

they're being driven by a marantz 5002.

Your probably going to notice a difference with anything other than another Corn, as the bottom end of a Cornwall is voiced differently than any other Heritage. I think you will definately notice that the RC is not going to be compatible to them.

I have an Academy between Chorus's and am not as pleased as I'd like to be. A Heresy II will do better, but I've found the cabinet shape to be not conducive to a center duty. I've always wanted to find another Chorus and lay it on its side and rotate the two horns 90 degrees in the motor board to achieve my nirvana, alas not going to happen in this economy. The Chorus idea may be an option for you as it replaced the Cornwall in the lineup for a time in the late 80's early 90's.

Good luck.

For a time, I ran a KL650 as a center with LaScalas. Technically it was a terrible match, but reality was very pleasing. Point is, I think that matching timbre is nice, but over rated. Many make it sound like it just won't work at all. For most, they will not notice. You could at the very least use what you have until a better choice came along.

Hey Smoke,

As you can see I'm running a 64 in between my La Scalas. I can definetly tell there is something off, but I still enjoy watching movies. I've had to bump the 64 up a bit and the LSs down due to the sensitivity, but once I got everything SPL matched it doesn't sound half bad.

All that said, my end game with be 3 LSs up front with Heresy surrounds, but for the room I have now, this works! Hope this helps.