Khorn Owners

jcmusic

Hi Kevin:

I'm doing good!! Hope all is well with you and yours!!

Any exotic fly fishing trips planned to escape the winter?

I didn't explain very well at all what I installed on the bottom of my bass bins. They are neoprene "gliders" not sliders, which can be confused with the hard plastic type cups that people place under the legs of furniture.

Here is a link to the thread I followed and it's near the bottom of page 2 that references what I'm trying to convey.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/37447/334488.aspx

Thanks

JJ

I often wondered what PWK would say when placing the K-horns into a corner. Would it be "just push them in the corner and crank them up"?

Extract from "Dope from Hope", Vol. 2, No. 12, (10 November 1961)

Most important, however, is the fit against the comer. Whenever there is a known performance loss in the 250-500 cps range, the flap seals are suggested.

Back in 1948 we were aware of an interference effect from the right and left sides; a 40° off-axis microphone placement under anechoic conditions (such as an inside comer outdoors) results in a deep response dip at about 280 cps. Also under similar conditions with a hard floor or ground there is an interference between the horn radiation and its mirror image below ground, and a microphone at 4-foot height will show a dip at 350 cps.

These are typical standing wave phenomena; in spite of such effects the system radiates power and does so smoothly if all precautions are observed. In fact our claim '10 dB peak-to-trough ratio' can be bettered by several decibels.

We recommend attention to seal at the corner; the flexible gasket sheet or a felt pad or other sealing means will reduce the peak-to-trough ratio as much as 7 decibels

Paul W. Klipsch, Editor
KLIPSCH and ASSOCIATES
Hope, Arkansas

I have mine setting on the hardwood floor. I had them tucked back in the corners and thought they sounded great. After a year a tube amp builder came over and sat down for a listen. He was a little baffled with the sound as he said there was no imaging, He ask me to toe them out away from the wall and for the first time I heard them image. I could not believe the new sound. I immediately put false backs on all 6 of mine and have them all toed out from the corners and love the sound.

It's a life-changing experience to hear proper imaging for the first time. I had La Scala for 20 years before I knew they could do that, and the trick was spacing them out (18 to 20 feet), toeing them in like Klipschorns at 45 degrees and sitting in the crosshairs.

I have mine setting on the hardwood floor. I had them tucked back in the corners and thought they sounded great. After a year a tube amp builder came over and sat down for a listen. He was a little baffled with the sound as he said there was no imaging, He ask me to toe them out away from the wall and for the first time I heard them image. I could not believe the new sound. I immediately put false backs on all 6 of mine and have them all toed out from the corners and love the sound.

It's a life-changing experience to hear proper imaging for the first time. I had La Scala for 20 years before I knew they could do that, and the trick was spacing them out (18 to 20 feet), toeing them in like Klipschorns at 45 degrees and sitting in the crosshairs.

My room is only 14' wide so that might have been the problem. My living room which also has khorns is 12' X 16' but I chose to pu them on the short walls toed out the same and the image is great ! The imaging has been the greatest improvement so far and all it cost was a little birch plywood. Imagine That !