Should I Upgrade Components

UncTarheelHtb

I would like to get your opinions on whether I should be upgrading any of my home theater components. I live in a small town in N.C. which no longer has a Klipsch dealer or Yamaha dealer. I am fairly happy with what I have except for my TV, but I'm always wondering if there is a lot more to be gained (marginal return of gain versus price). I mainly use the system for DVD's. Here is what I have:

Yamaha RX-V995

Klipsch KG 2.5

Klipsch KG 1.5

Klipsch KV 2

Klipsch KSW300

RCA 46" RPT (9 years old) - Leaning towards Toshiba 57X81

Pioneer DVD

I read the Klipsch and Toshiba forums frequently and enjoy all the expertise that is available but sometimes get confused by the deluge of data and conflicting positions.

Thanks for your input.

Hi there,

Yeah, I would too consider upgrading your TV. Smile.gif

But otherwise, if you are happy with the sound, there is no need to upgrade, right? There is always something better/bigger/faster/more powerful so you will always have an urge to upgrade what you have. Smile.gif

We call it the "upgrade bug" here. Wink.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

Projector: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

UNC-

As Kain said, there is always the upgrade bug. I, too, am looking at upgrading my TV; I still have "only" a 27" tube. But, I do have the sound part of my HT pretty well set. Your KG 1.2/2.2 combo is very nice; I have the 1.2s as my surrounds/rear center and they do great. The KV-2 matches nice with that system.

If you wanted to stay in the same line, you could certainly upgrade the 2.2s to something like the KG4, or KG 5.5s. Then upgrade the KV-2 to the KV-3 and move the KG 2.2s to the surrounds and keep the 1.2s for a rear center if you ever go that route. Most of the speakers I have mentioned are on eBay quite often for pretty good prices. That would allow you to upgrade with a minimum of $$ outlay.

However, you can always step up a notch or two and look at Quartet/Forte/Chorus/Cornwall or some great used Heritage speakers; LaScala, Belle, K-horn, but those are pretty expensive. And if you must have new, then get the new Heritage as they roll off the line. Smile.gif

I don't know much about Yammy components as I am a Denon fan, but make sure you have DD 5.1 and not just ProLogic. That was a big upgrade for me and well worth it. My Denon also has a 5-ch/7-ch stereo option which I love when listening to CDs. Nothing like being surrounded by good music.

However, there is nothing wrong with your current system. It just depends how much money you are willing to spend and if you have a wife/girlfriend who doesn't mind big speakers, as anything else you get will be bigger than what you have now. The 2.2/1.2 combo is a great middle-ground, good sound from smaller boxes. Enjoy and let us all know what you decide to do. I think many of us live vicariously through others upgrades. Smile.gif

Thanks for the input and I'm sure you are correct about the upgrade bug. The Yamaha is 5.1 DD with DTS capability. I was curious as to whether the 6.1 upgrade would make any difference. When I bought the system, I got the idea that the Center Channel was my weakest component but that may not be true.

The television is probably my next purchase. I've been waiting for the prices to go down some. Unfortunately, the only dealers in my area are Best Buy and Circuit city. I'm afraid to order a TV over the internet.

Again, thanks for your input.

I'd say with your current system, the KV-2 is fine. If you upgrade your mains, then I would also look at upgrading your center. Otherwise, if you are looking to get the TV, you should be fine. I am waiting for prices to drop as well.

I like the 6.1, or in my case, 7.1 for HT. Granted, there aren't many movies out that take advantage of that yet, but it's nice to be a bit "future-proof" especially in this day and age. I really like the extra speakers for music.

There is this "anti piracy "crap going on with the HDTV stuff.

I bought a 36 inch direct view Toshiba HDTV. Now rumors are manufactureres will be going away from analog component video connections to a digital connect to prevent piracy and possible obselete the current HD equipment.

I probably would of bought the TV anyway; the TOshiba and the Panasonic RP 91 Progrssive Scan DVD/DVDA have an awesome picture.

Not enough time in my schedule to listen to music and be a poster; let alone pirate software.

Piracy only exists when the profit motive exists. If legitimate items were priced reasonable piracy would not exist. The only fake Rolexes I have seen have quartz movements not Swiss movements. It would not be profitable to clone a swiss movement.

As noted before I know much less about video than I do audio so I am still trying to understand the future of this HD stuff.

Be carefull about the TV upgrade for the next 18 months there is some risk of obsolesence.

You could try cable upgrades...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA