Please Help Choose My New Speakers

slf

OK you guys win.

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm new here and know nothing of the Klipsch lines .

I'm using all modernized Dynaco tube gear,(PAS3 ,ST70), a Music Hall 7.1 TT and Benz Silver cartridge and Oppo BDP-83 cd that I dont really use.

I'm a vinyl guy ,and thats all.

I want to try some Klipsch!

Available near me are

Quartet, KLF20, Forte I, KG5.2, and KG4.5 and perhaps Heresy II

So, of these speakers.Cornwalls etc are too big,which would go best with my tubes,

Price woud be the minor factor. All are reasonable enough. I want something I will want to keep, and perhaps have a market for when the time comes....

Thanks for any input

Steve

Boston,Ma

Picking from that list, I think I would go with the Forte I to match up with tube amplification. I run Heritage (K-horns and Cornwalls) with tubes and it is a great match, The Forte is closest to the Heritage line in your list (some consider it an "extended" Hertitage line speaker). Good luck with your "new" system that you are putting together!

KG5.2 Heresy II can now be added to this list, and Just maybe Heresy I,waiting for his reply.

The fortes have some swelling in the case,at back but are otherwise in great shape, no veneer lifted ,

cases not damaged otherwise,all origional.

Is this a deal breaker at $450.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Following up from the other thread, I really like my Forte IIs with my stock, but recently refurbished & mostly re-tubed, PAS-3 & ST-70 combo. I got the Fortes when I was still using the vintage Marantz gear in my avatar (gotta update that someday ;-), & they sounded great. When I hooked them up to the Dynaco gear, though, I became a believer!

I've begun a modification path with my Fortes & that's another reason I like them. Bob Crites offers some reasonable driver diaphrams & crossover options that make mods really a plug-n-play propsition. I installed some titanium tweeter diaphrams & immediately liked what I heard as a smoother, more detailed top end.There's another thread going on this forum right now about titanium diaphrams for the mid-range horn, but for the time being it appears they're only available directly from Klipsch. I'm still thinking about them but my next upgrade will probably be crossovers. As you might be able to tell, though, I really like what I hear now so I'm not in any big hurry to do anything.

FYI - I've gotten back into vinyl a bit myself with a Thorens TD-160 & Goldring Electra cart. I also have an AR-XA with Stanton 681 EEE that needs a new needle. I got it kinda spur of the moment when I was in a sentimental mood remembering the one I had a long time ago. I do have a pretty good CD collection & have a Rega Planet CDP that I use quite a bit. Anyway, I'm occassionally just blown away listening, especially to an old favorite lp through this system!

I haven't really had a chance to audition the Heresy but have to wonder whether they have the bottom end of the Forte. That said, Forte performance, especially in the bottom end, is really dependent on careful speaker placement & that could be an issue for you. After a lovely afternoon of experimentation (listening - moving speakers - listening some more - etc., etc.) mine ended up about 16" from back & side walls with the right speaker ever so slightly toed in to my seating position. When I close my eyes sometimes its hard to believe I'm listening to a 2 channel stereo system!

Good luck but you can't go to far off with Klipsch Heritage & Tubes!

Frank W.

The fortes have some swelling in the case,at back but are otherwise in great shape, no veneer lifted ,

cases not damaged otherwise,all origional.

Is this a deal breaker at $450.

Well, I don't know but I suspect if you can wait a bit you can find a better deal. I paid $450 for my excellent Forte IIs & was willing to drive like, 800 mi. round trip ($100 in gas) to get them. ;-) Others have travelled further but that was my deal & I've been pretty happy.

Just my opinion, though,

Frank W.

I have the Fortes and am very happy with them but from what I read here (in this Forum) the majority opinion is the Forte IIs have

a better midrange. Should I not be jealous of the IIs?

I don't think the Forte's are in any way inferior to the Forte II's in sound quality. I think with the exponential mid horn in the Forte's, they are a little more placement specific where as the tractrix mid horn in the Forte II's is a bit more forgiving and sounds a little better off axis. JMO.

Bill

Steve: of the speakers you have to consider I think that the Forte would be a good first choice from a resale point of view. The Quartet has the same mid and high horns as the Forte ll but it has a ten inch woofer and 12 inch passive (the Forte ll has a 12 inch woofer and a 15 inch passive) so it is more like a Forte ll. If you are happier to have a slightly smaller cabinet size and you are not looking for maximum output level I would go with the Quartet as the ten inch bass driver will have an edge at crossover to the mid horn when compared to the 12 inch woofer of the Forte. I expect that the mid horn of the Quartet will also have the edge over say the KLF 20 and the KG series. Upgrade your crossovers and your diaphragms to Titanium and you will have a set of long time keepers.Best regards Moray James.

I have the Fortes and am very happy with them but from what I read here (in this Forum) the majority opinion is the Forte IIs have

a better midrange. Should I not be jealous of the IIs?

I don't think the Forte's are in any way inferior to the Forte II's in sound quality. I think with the exponential mid horn in the Forte's, they are a little more placement specific where as the tractrix mid horn in the Forte II's is a bit more forgiving and sounds a little better off axis. JMO.

Bill

Thanks Bill I knew I liked my Fortes for a reason[:D]!

Willand: I see you have both Quartet and Forte. Could you comment on how they compare and how they differ? I have a set of Forte ll now and I have a set of Quartet on the way. My best guess is that the Quarter ought to have a slight edge at the crossover between the woofer and the mid horn as the woofer is a little smaller in the Quartetand I would assume that dispersion of the 10 inch woofer at crossover will be closer to that of the mid horn. I expect the bass of the Fortell to be a little better than the Quartet and the Forte ll will play louder but overall they should sound like brothers. Your impressions as an owner of both would be most welcome. Best regards Moray James.

Willand: I see you have both Quartet and Forte. Could you comment on how they compare and how they differ? I have a set of Forte ll now and I have a set of Quartet on the way. My best guess is that the Quarter ought to have a slight edge at the crossover between the woofer and the mid horn as the woofer is a little smaller in the Quartetand I would assume that dispersion of the 10 inch woofer at crossover will be closer to that of the mid horn. I expect the bass of the Fortell to be a little better than the Quartet and the Forte ll will play louder but overall they should sound like brothers. Your impressions as an owner of both would be most welcome. Best regards Moray James.

Moray,

This is not a copout answer. You hit the nail on the head totally with you assessment. I think I have my Forte's set up perfectly with spacing, toe in, and distance from walls/corners. With that said, they sound like my Quartets but with just a tiny bit more ooomph. You will be pleasantly surprised just how much bass the Quartets have.

Bill

Thanks Bill: glad to have figured things out. I have to say I am late to enter the Klipsch world thought I have looked in for decades. I could not be more impressed with the man the company and the people associated with Klipsch. This business with Klipsch being sold has me feeling like I have to run to catch up and worried I may miss some things if (when) big changes are made. Oh well what will be will be.

Has any one done any comparrisons with KLF20's and Forte 0ne or Two? I ask becaude I am thinking that the dual ten driver cabinet designs ought to be the best of the lot. With the twin driver cabinet designs the two voice coils of the woofers combine to provide a big chunk of the inductance used to make the low frequency crossover. As such the bass section crossover inductors in the twin woofer designs are smaller than the single woofer versions. That's the reason why you read about some of the twin woofer designs hitting like jack hammers and having such great bass. Simple the amp is getting to controll directly a bigger chunk of the drivers in the twin designs. Very best regards Moray James.