Klipsch Speaker Advice

MichaelHans

Hi I'm new here.

I am looking to put together a Klipsch Home Theater together, I grow up on Klipsch with my father, he had a 20k 2 channel set up when as a kid and we listen to classic rock like ACDC, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, and the Stones. I was 12 so I don't really remember his set up or models. He was also friends with several Stereo Shops owners in the Miami-Dade county area. I would hang out and listen music on different set ups picking my favorites. I even had a reference CD I picked out at the time Pink Floyd-The Wall which I still use for reference today. Not to be all sentimental, I'm not the most educated in stereo equipment but I have a good ear and know what I like.

Anyways I am looking for speakers for Surround Sound set up, but 2-Channel music is much more important to me. I'm looking for a set of speakers for Rock based music and a good Surround Sound set up after my Friend sold me a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX dirt cheap and I don't really have speakers that don't warrant a $4500 receiver at the moment. I'm on a Budget and not apposed to classic or older Klipsch speakers. In fact I might say the older pre 2000s models sound better a lot of the time, but I'm not sure about older VS newer either, they just sound different. I was looking at the KLF 30s and KHL-C7 thinking these seemed pretty good. I'm looking for bang for my buck.

My Questions

Suggestions in used speakers Front? Up to $600 (on cheaper and more expensivce side of my budge)

Center? Up to $350 (on cheaper and more expensivce side of my budge)

Matching Rear? Up to $300 (on cheaper and more expensivce side of my budge)

Subs?

Is the VSX-49TX that good of a Receiver?

Any advice would help thanks.

MichaelHans,

Welcome to the forum.

I even had a reference CD I picked out at the time Pink Floyd-The Wall which I still use for reference today. Not to be all sentimental, I'm not the most educated in stereo equipment but I have a good ear and know what I like.

Good choice for reference CD. It is completely acceptable to be sentimental on this forum. I think a good ear is all that really counts.

I was looking at the KLF 30s and KHL-C7 thinking these seemed pretty good. I'm looking for bang for my buck.

KLF's are great for classic rock. Here are a couple of pairs of KLF 20's in your general area.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2161336701.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2155921626.html

Forte/Forte II or Chorus II's will also rock.

Bill

You could go with an all Heresey setup. They would be perfectly matched and sound really good. With Heresies you would need (want) a sub though for movies and for music too.

Used Heresies go from $250 to $500 per set of 2. That setup would blow away everything you have heard for movies in any demo room.

You could also try an all forte setup. It would be best to keep all of the speakers the same though whatever you do. For a little more $$ you could mix in 2 la scalas for fronts (for really full 2 channel sound). My buddy did this with 5 heresies for a 7.1 Klipsch Heritage system. The surround effects were beyond good. You could hear every nuance of sound. It really felt like a room of sound walls all around you. When we stopped or paused a movie you could feel the walls of sound drop away.

Emotiva has some subs that would probably work really well for not too much $$. I'm thinking around $300. The sub is very important in theater. For the ultimate, I will never need another sub, type of sub you could go with the Epik Empire (my personal sub). He is still selling them for $799 which is just an insanely low price for such a sub. Epik also makes a slightly smaller sub with the same design for $500.

You might have to wait a bit to find all of your speakers used on craigslist, but it would definitely be worth waiting.

For $900 ($300 per set of heriseies) or more likely ~ $400 per nice set or $500 for perfect ones. You'd even have an extra speaker to sell for $200 to $250 as a center speaker for someone else.

$900 plus $300 for an awesome but inexpensive (internet direct) subwoofer (check out avs forum for talk of which sub would be best for your budget) brings the total to as little as $1200 for a system that will blow the doors off more than likely anything you've heard. Now that would be a budget system to be proud of.

I compared Hereseies to the top of the line reference series Klipsch speakers (not cheap) at a guys house and the Heresies were more articulate sounded like a better class of speaker with better articulation and presence. The reference series speaker had way more bass, but the quality of the rest of the sound was good but just not as good as the Heresey. The reference series speakers had a sort of reserved quality to the sound that the Heresies didn't have. As long as you buy a sub, you'll have the best of both worlds. The reference series speaker did look more elegant with a piano black finish, but I'd prefer to put my speaker $$ into the best sound possible.

Check Craigslist everyday.

Fronts Chorus II Center and surrounds Heresey IIs if you can find

or

Forte fronts and Heresey center and surround all from extended Heritage family.

You live out in Calif so I suggest you also get a HSU sub.

If you can not get everything at once

get it as you can you will not be disappointed.

KLF's are great for classic rock. Here are a couple of pairs of KLF 20's in your general area.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2161336701.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2155921626.html

Forte/Forte II or Chorus II's will also rock.

Bill

KLF 20's are pretty darn sweet. Add a C7 center for $300 to complete the front sound stage and put just about anything in back. I certainly enjoy mine.

Welcome to the forum! There are many good ways to go on your budget and you're going to find out by trial and error what works best for you. You could look hard and find a set of Cornwalls for fronts, the C7 as well as the RC7 are both very capable centers that can be bought correctly when they come available. If you happen to find a set of RP 5's for mains and for listening to rock (paid $200 for a pair) I'm telling you that regardless of how successful Klipsch was marketing them, you will really be amazed at what they will do with 2 built in 12" powered subs. The suggestion for a set of Heresy's with a good sub would work too. I can't comment on the KLF's as I don't have a pair that series..............yet. The rears are the least important part of the formula and you can pick up anything decent for the time being and you'll get the effect. Best thing about this is that if you pick up any of these and pick them up for a fair price and they just don't fit your taste, you've only wasted a little time and can turn around and sell them and try another combination. Happy Hunting!

Thanks Everyone!

This form has been great for research and tips.

I have never actually heard a pair of heresys or cornwalls. My first
Klipschs where a pair of KG 5.2s they where good clean speakers but I felt
left a lot to be desired. At my computer I have an old pair of KG 2.5s
and a SW 10 II which are perfect for my computer. Dose any anyone know where I can go to hear these speakers you are recommending?