LAMPIZATION or NO lampization ......... is the improvement worth a $100 ????

quadklipsh

the question says it all....

i have a cdp X-33-ES SONY from the early 90s..

Its REALLY GREAT a player .plays all cds .but i guess a little short of the best in its class and price .

so i thought of the offer of lampization to it by my technician..

according to him the sound gets tube like mellow ,rich and soft .

I had never heard the term "lampization" before and had to google it (it means "bypassing output stages of CDPs and replacing them with his own tube circuit"). Why not buy an external DAC instead. There a lot of good ones on the market and you can improve the sound of all your sources, not just the CD player. Besides, the laser in you Sony is getting old, and who knows if Sony still has parts for it.

dude , DACs are rarely found her...

only diy dacs , and that i donot wana enter into.

the DAC of my dvs9 is good but i guess out board dacs or lampization would be better sounding. plus ofcourse tubes would bring out their own character to my music , which would be welcome ....

anyone else also could pour in ,plz

Forum member Gotover "lampizated" his Behringer 2496DCX digital speaker processor unit and there is a thread in updates and mods. He removed his s/s outputs and installed some tubes and if you read the thread he says that the sound improved. It is a very custom mod...........and it will significantly change the sound of the unit. I don't know how much you are talking about spending but you can buy a nice Jolida JD-100 CDP that was designed for and has tubes already in it. I have one and it's a nice middle of the road player.