Need advice on first separates system

Youthman

• Moderators

I recently picked up the below equipment for my 11yr old son. You can see my original post here in the HT section.

This is my first time having true separates so I have a few questions about recommended hookup.

This will be a 2ch system in my 11yr old's bedroom. At this time, we do not "need" the 5.1 DD processor since he will only have 2 speakers. The processor has a 2ch button on the front so my first question is...

1. Should I use the DD processor and just set it to 2ch or not hook it up to the system and just come out of the Parasound Preamp to the Rotel Amp?

If you do recommend hooking up the Parasound DD Processor...

I'm confused as to how the PreAmp hooks to the Processor and what order they go in when connected to the amp.

2. I know I come out of the Integra into the DD Processor (via Digital Coax). But then do I come out of the Processor (2ch Output) into the Preamp (Direct Input) and then out of the PreAmp (Line 1 Output) into the Amp (Input)?

3. Down the road, if I wanted to use the 5.1 of the processor, it only has a large output connector (5.1 Channel Output on left) but the PreAmp does not have a 5.1 ch input.

prepro_Sm.jpg

PreProBack.jpg

In order to use the DD-1500 you also need an accompanying SP-1500.

So for now, it's a paperweight, and can be set aside. Connect the disc player, pre-amp, and Rotel with the shortest RCA patch cables that will work. Looks like 1 footers from CableWholesale will do.

If you ever want to hook it up in the future, you're going to need the signal processor (SP-1500), DB25 patch cable, tos-link cable, and preferably a 5 channel amp (if you intend surround use); however, you could certainly continue to use the Rotel for 2 channel listening regardless. Once you acquire a SP-1500, you'll no longer have use for the LD-1100 and can set that aside.

Details for the SP-1500: http://wardsweb.org/audio/psp1500.html [;)]

• Moderators

Well, we hooked them up in the HT and they were a bit underwhelming, mainly in the bass region. But when we moved them into his smaller bedroom, we both really liked them. I think they are not the best fit for his genre of music (Hip Hop etc) but they do sound amazing for things like cello, violin etc. I'm still leaning towards getting a pair of CF-2's from a forum member. I believe they would provide more than adequate bass for his bedroom.

Just curious, if I wanted to use a sub with the PreAmp, would I use the Line Out 2 and go into the sub? There really isn't a sub out on the PreAmp.

Michael,

I am pretty sure you can use a sub(line out 2) but since the preamp does not have an internal crossover, you must use the crossover in the sub.

Bill

• Moderators

That's what I was thinking too. The 2nd line out allows you to hook up two separate amps to the preamp and the sub amp is an amp so that should be the way you hook it up. I guess it just threw me off since it was actually a stereo out instead of the typical mono out on a receiver.

I guess it just threw me off since it was actually a stereo out instead of the typical mono out on a receiver.

Yes, you can use the 2nd output to drive a sub. 99.999999% of recordings have the bass mixed down to mono so it will work just fine.

If your sub only has one input you will have to get a Y rca adaptor. Left and right pre out to one into sub.

• Moderators

let me get this straight. You are gong to give an 11 year old a subwoofer so he can listen to music that drives you nuts?

Nope. I listen to it louder than he does so it doesn't bother me....it's my wife that doesn't like it loud. LOL He'll mainly crank it when we are not home. That's what I did when I was his age. My parents would leave for work and up the volume went.

If your sub only has one input you will have
to get a Y rca adaptor. Left and right pre out to one into sub.

Correct but usually, I have found it to be the other way
around. Mono out from the receiver to stereo input on the sub. Not
sure I have ever seen a mono input on a sub (although I'm sure they are
out there)

Hey Youthman,

Very nice setup, especially for an 11 year old!!!

The P\DD-1500 is not only a surround processor, it's also a very capable DAC, not a paper weight.

This DAC can be hooked up without the db 25 cable & also, without the SP-1500 processor.

To integrate it into you're system, run either a Toslink or a 75 ohm coaxial cable from the CD player to the corresponding input on the back of the processor,

then run RCA patch cables from the processor to the pre-amp analog CD inputs.

What this does is it bypasses the DAC in the Integra & utilizes the DAC in the Parasound processor.

I have both the P\DD processor & the P\SP pre-amp & I use them in seperate systems.

The P\DD I use only as a DAC for an Audio Alchemy CD player & a Squeezbox.

The P\SP is in my bedroom rig as a 2 channel Pre-amp.

Hope this helps, enjoy!!!

In order to use the DD-1500 you also need an accompanying SP-1500.

So for now, it's a paperweight, and can be set aside. Connect the disc player, pre-amp, and Rotel with the shortest RCA patch cables that will work. Looks like 1 footers from CableWholesale will do.

If you ever want to hook it up in the future, you're going to need the signal processor (SP-1500), DB25 patch cable, tos-link cable, and preferably a 5 channel amp (if you intend surround use); however, you could certainly continue to use the Rotel for 2 channel listening regardless. Once you acquire a SP-1500, you'll no longer have use for the LD-1100 and can set that aside.

Details for the SP-1500: http://wardsweb.org/audio/psp1500.html Wink

• Moderators

Thanks Newkman. I understand what you are saying about the DAC. I never would have thought about that. I asked my son what he thought about hooking it up to his system and he said, "Sounds good to me like it is." Kids.....LOL

I'll probably hook it up sometime tomorrow. I have a toslink cable that I can use. I'm just curious if I will actually hear any difference.