In need of screen and projector recommendations

Audio Flynn

My new house living room is HT challenged although great for stereo. The TV would need to go in front of the picture window that looks east over a 300 acre alfalfa field. Not good.

I would like to buy a good screen that would "roll up" into the soffit / valance above the picture window and a used 720P projector just to get my feet wet as I have never owned a projector.

Are there any good websites that review projectors and screens?

Thanks

Rick

I currently use a Panasonic PT-AE700 720p projector with a 92 inch pull down screen and a Play Station 3 as the blu-ray player. I have had this setup for 4 years with the Play Station a more recent addition. I run the HT audio signal through my tube amp and then the Belles. My HT is 2-channel only. On blu-ray the Panasonic is outstanding - much better than dvd. I have the projector set on Cinema 2 with the lamp set to economy. I'm up to 2100 hours and I should get another 1500 hours or so. My room is partially light controlled (curtains etc) as this really helps with picture quality. The new breed of 1080p projectors are also very good. But I reckon very soon projectors will come out with LEDs. Instead of only getting 3000 0r 4000 hours or so, the LED equipped projectors will run for around 70,000 hours. So you will be able to have them on all the time and not worry about replacing the lamp every so often. You should be able to find a good used Panasonic or similar 720p projector for little money. You may have to buy a new lamp. Panasonic has upgraded their 720p models several times since I bought mine. My model was replaced with the PT-AE900 and then the PT-AE100u and the current model is the PT-AE200u. Good luck.