KLF-20 Placement

dddpsd

A while ago I asked the question "how to place these rear-ported speakers?" The general answers were to experiment. I spent a LOT of time googling the web trying to find a starting point. It is amazing what you can stumble onto just following threads. Here is a digest of what I learned in case it helps anyone else. The most interesing stuff was from way back when horns were first being used in Hi-Fi.

Horn speakers are a different dipole animal than coned. Yeh, I am a genius... Actually the dispersion pattern is different. It turns out that the simple owner's manual diagraming toe-in is wrong. I read a lot of threads stating that this type of speaker is very sensitive to placement. In my room that is the understatement of my Hi-Fi career. The best starting point that I found in my searching was 2 feet from the back and side walls. The most important information was to NOT toe them in. My room is 15 ft wide and 24 long. All hard bookcased walls like a library, high ceiling and hardwood floor with a thin rug covering the central 2/3.

They sounded a lot better than close to the back wall and corners where had them trying to get more bass and toed-in. The old way was thin and no depth. Then - I pulled them out into the room and away from the sides. Still facing straight forward with no toe-in at all. They are 8 feet apart and 12 feet to the chair The speakers have now sonically disappeared.

I hope this is helpful to someone

Dennis

The plot thickens...

I have been suspicious of the health of my Denon DRA 1035R receiverever since getting the KL-20s . At low voume one channel is weak. Oh well, just crank it up right? All of this moving the cabinets around to get some bass and even putting in a small passive sub just seemed wrong. So, I just picked up a Nakamichi TA-2A for cheap and hooked it up without the sub. Now these KLF-20 have the mids and sound stage with all the bass I need. That's with the tone control on direct. Time to sell the Denon...