Where to demo reference speakers?

Kevin2011

Hi I am new to Klipsch and HiFi, and found this forum very informative and friendly.

I recently got a package deal including Onkyo 608, RF-52 II, RC-52 II, RB-51 II and RW-12d, but haven't received them yet.

Normally I spend 70/30 on movies and music (classics, pop, jazz).

The more I read I felt the urge to upgrade to higher models. [:D] So don't know if it makes sense to sell this package, maybe be able to make some money for bigger boxes.

So before I open the boxes, I would like to check out the different models.

Bestbuy only has HTIB speakers. Also called a relatively close by dealer, he only has 42, 52 and 62 for demo.

Is that common for most dealers? Any other places to check out? (I live in south Boston area.)

And what do you think of 52s for classics?

Thanks a lot.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Kevin.

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I don't have good news for you. You are already looking to upgrade and your speakers haven't even arrived yet. Most of us on the forum are infected with upgraditis but you my friend....you have it bad. [:P]

You can find Reference Dealers on at http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/where-to-buy/

It is definitely best if you can hear the different models before you make a purchase. Many have said that the RF-82's are a sweet spot. Very affordable and a very good speaker as well.

I have upgraded quite a bit. I have gone from a rc-52 center channel to the rc-62 and now am getting the rc-64. From what i could tell the rc-52 would have worked great with a speaker like the rf-52s. I have also used the rb-61 and it sounded pretty darn good as a surround. If it is going to cost you money to send everything back i would consider just keeping what you have. They will be great for surround sound movies in a normal living room.

upgradeitis.....

The total package price of the RF7 family ( RC64-RS62) II is way less than the price of a new car. People think nothing of dropping 20 thousand for a car, yet they pinch and waver on buying speakers. I know where I sit the most.

Unfortunately there is getting to be fewer and fewer places to hear them beforehand. We may have just lost our Reference showroom where I live too.

JUST DO IT.

• Moderators

The total package price of the RF7 family ( RC64-RS62) II is way less than the price of a new car. People think nothing of dropping 20 thousand for a car, yet they pinch and waver on buying speakers. I know where I sit the most.

Exactly. I've always felt the same way about my home. I would rather have a nice home and drive my 1998 Nissan Sentra with 175,000 miles that I paid $250 for than drive a $40,000 vehicle and less of a home. I live in my home, I don't live in my car. [;)]

Thank you guys for the laughs.

I am pretty sure this package is pretty good for movies, should be much better than my onkyo 6.1 HTIB.

I am more concerned with musics especially classics. I heard they lacks in mid range and the sub is too boomy for musics. What is your opinions?

Will upgrading to 62 or 82 solve the problem? or even 7?

Well, like someone said before, if you've already got buyers remorse, then you need to stretch your budget as thin as possible and get some big bad boys! RF-63, RF-83, or RF-7 is the way you need to go. The Klipsch reference line is frowned upon by audiophiles for lack of midrange, but other speakers in this price range just can't compare to the dynamics that the Reference series puts out. You can always adjust your reciever crossovers and increase your mid-range frequencies to help balance out. As for boomy lows, adjustment of speaker placement/sub will make huge differences.

I have the 62s, and while I prefer them to the 52s, I don't know as this upgrade will satiate your need for more. For fantastic mid-range, the Klipsch ICON WF-35 is fantastic! They need to be mated to a good sub and unfortunately, you just missed out on a fantastic sale from vanns.com. Either way, if you're going to make a change go BIG.

upgradeitis.....

Unfortunately there is getting to be fewer and fewer places to hear them beforehand. We may have just lost our Reference showroom where I live too.

JUST DO IT.

I've been a "lurker" on this forum for about ~7 years, and never had a whole lot to say, until today when I drove an hour + to demo the RF82's with the intention of buying them today from the closest reference dealer to me, just to find out they literally just closed their doors. They didn't even change their answering machine to say they were no longer open. I suppose I am just going to "have" to buy them from amazon.com...

I've been a "lurker" on this forum for about ~7 years, and never had a whole lot to say, until today when I drove an hour + to demo the RF82's with the intention of buying them today from the closest reference dealer to me, just to find out they literally just closed their doors. They didn't even change their answering machine to say they were no longer open. I suppose I am just going to "have" to buy them from amazon.com...

That happened to me last week, I drove about 20 mins to the closest dealer during the lunch break, but found out they/he closed out and won't come back until 1:20. [:(]

To my surpirse, it is a small shop, kind of like small radio shack size, not very well organized looking through the windows. Doesn't look like a good demo env. I was expecting something like a car dealership. LOL. Maybe I asked too much.

• 3 weeks later...