RF 7 Bi Amp Will This Work ???

Monkeybrains

funny that you ask this, i was wondering a similar question, not to hijack your thread of course. I would assume, that in your case, if your NAD integrated amp can control the second power amp things would work. Thats the first thing. Secondly, i would assume that what you want to do would work, more power to the bigger drivers will help. I would just be wondering how much power would really have to go to each in a bi amp situation.

Can someone help me on this .

I have RF 7's and a NAD C370 Integrated Amp 120 Wpc .
I can get a used NAD C272 Power Amp 150wpc

Can I Bi amp them using the C370 120wpc for Highs and the C272 150Wpc for the Lows ??? Thanks

Sure you can. I really don't think you'll notice much of a difference. Sure there are 30 more watts with the amp, but I really doubt that it would be audible.

Remember, it's the first 3 watts that count! [;)]

Dennie

Thanks Dennie I was thinking that the RF 7's would be much better and louder with the second amp . But sounds like i would just be pissing money away . What if i Bridged the Nad C370 @ 300 W and ran 1 amp to each speaker . Then i would have to find another Nad C270 power amp that has the same power as my Nad C370 . I think the Nad C272 is 400 W Bridged that would make a miss match of power going to each speaker of 100 W difference . Maybe i should just get a Bigger amp

Thanks Dennie I was thinking that the RF 7's would be much better and louder with the second amp . But sounds like i would just be pissing money away . What if i Bridged the Nad C370 @ 300 W and ran 1 amp to each speaker . Then i would have to find another Nad C270 power amp that has the same power as my Nad C370 . I think the Nad C272 is 400 W Bridged that would make a miss match of power going to each speaker of 100 W difference .

Maybe i should just get a Bigger amp

I think that would make the biggest difference.

If you were running tubes for the High's and Mids. Then a solid state amp for the bass, I think that may make a good bi-amped system.

But one solid state amp on for the highs and mids and another for the bass really isn't going to make that big of a difference in the sound to make it worth it, IMHO!

By the way, Welcome to the Klipsch Forums Monkeybrains! We're glad you're here!

Dennie

First, welcome to the forum!

Next, what were you planning to use for a crossover? Those dual connectors on the back are meant for bi-wiring, not bi-amping. True bi-amping requires a different type of crossover, either passive, or, preferably, active, between the pre-amp and the power amps, so the power amps are connected directly to the drivers.

First, welcome to the forum!

Next, what were you planning to use for a crossover? Those dual connectors on the back are meant for bi-wiring, not bi-amping. True bi-amping requires a different type of crossover, either passive, or, preferably, active, between the pre-amp and the power amps, so the power amps are connected directly to the drivers.

I'm not disputing what you say as I've heard this before, but trying to understand. If what you say is true, what are the jumpers for between the terminals? If you take the jumpers off and only connect to one set of terminals, you either hear LF or HF.

To bi-amp your need an outboard crossover between the pre-amp and the two stereo power amps. The crossovers on the inside of the speaker boxes are not used. See this article:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bi-wire_bi-amp.htm

Frankly, 120w/chan. should be more than sufficient. If it is not, you may need a better amp, rather than a more powerful one. My Marantz 250 (125/125 watts RMS) will drive my RF-7 II's to very high SPL levels

The jumpers are for use with a single stereo power amp, as you are apparently now using. Leave them in place unless you bi-wire, which is a waste of effort. This subject is covered, along with proper connection, in your speaker owner's manual. If you don't have the owner's manual, there is a pdf of it on the Klipsch web site for RF-7speakers.

Monkeybrains, Welcome to the Forum.

I am running my 7's bi-amped. The jumpers between HF and LF must be removed. In my current setup, I am running a Yamaha amp (250 wpc) to the LF woofers. To the HF, the horns, I am using a small Rotel amp (50 wpc). The reason I did this was to, for lack of a better term, "tame" the horns a bit. The end result has been very pleasurable. A much warmer sound if you will.

I agree with Dennie, you are not going to notice a drastic difference if you were to bi-amp with the two NAD's you mentioned. They are just too closely matched in power output. Before I bought the Yamaha, I had been running an Adcom amp that put out 125 wpc. I was blown away with excitement with the additional wattage. A bigger amp behind those 7's will blow your shirt off. Go bigger my friend...

Keep on Rockin'