Please help an old man: Original Forte's or up grade to RF-7 II

cgregory4

My Forte's have Crites midrange and tweeter diaphragms as well as new caps on the crossover.

The biggest improvement was the tweeter diaphragms and new caps. The Crites midrange diaphragms on my original Forte's were an improvement, the vocals are a little bit more subdued which I appreciate when I play the Forte's loud since the vocals don't sound like shouting.

When I recapped my x-overs I also set them up for bi-amping running my SS amp to the woofers and tube amp to the mids & tweeters. I really like the sound of the RF-7's and Forte's with tube amps.

You own one of the most desirable speakers that Klipsch has ever made. INMHO they were discontinued for "Canabilizing" the Cornwall line. Replacing a forte or forte II for any RF series would be downgrading in my opinion. From a 3 way to 2 way design as others have mentioned.

Do upgrades as Wuzzer and I have done, and you will not want to part with. If we have not convinced you yet, please send me a PM with your asking price on the forte's.

Take care.

Thanks to everyone for indulging and educating me. I guess the answer to my question may be -- Yes. I will definitely be keeping and upgrading my '86 Forte's per your suggestions. They will continue to be my main music speakers, and music is really my passion. Good ol' stereo.

I'm also thinking about a set of either RF-7IIs or RF-83s to use for a family home theater system. It should be fun, and I know I'll learn something. Keep me out of the pool halls. ;?)

One more particular that Mark addressed and involves what should I do with the Forte' midrange:

"I can only speak from personal experience, but I preferred the stock midrange diaphragm as opposed to Bob's. I do remember reading that speakers with exponential horns (such as your Forte Is) may benefit more from Bob's diaphragms than speakers with tractrix horns (such as Forte IIs).

A few members have changed to Klipsch's K-53 titanium diaphragms from the Heresy III and Cornwall III and all have liked them."

If I went with the K-53, does that mean I would change out the whole driver/horn assembly? Should I do that? Does my original Forte' set need a new mid-range and/or horn assembly, as opposed to the Forte' II? Can someone with original Forte' experience weigh in, and give me some clear direction to head on this particular issue?

Thanks again to everyone.

Greg